Not Pickers

melbourned

Sep 21, 2011
We have 2 males for over a year. Neither one picks or pulls out feathers, yet they have grey fuzz neck to legs and few feathers under their wings. They seem to spend a lot of time what I would describe as scratching with their beaks. They both seem happy and well adjusted to our home. Is their something we can do to get some feather growth or stop the scratching that I think may be the problem? They get a variety of fresh veggies and fruit in their diets. The plumage they have is stunning. Our vet thinks they're healthy but doesn't have an answer for us. A rescue in our community has a male with the same issue???? :green1:

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I have a couple questions. Have you seen any green feathers in the downy area during the last year. Also, have they molted their primaries and tail feathers in the last year?

OP
M

melbourned

Sep 21, 2011
We probably shower once a week in the winter. otherwise twice a week. I purchased a spray that was recommended to me but haven't used it because it has alcohol in it.

CathnPoe

Oct 17, 2012
Media
NSW, Australia
Parrots
1 male Eclectus, Poe.
I'd see the vet.
Up the bathing so that they are encouraged to preen rather than scratch. If the old preening oil isn't washed away, ready to be "re-applied", then some birds may pick... or in your case shred/scratch.

Also, I'm sure sodakat is about to offer a great diagnosis from all their experience, so I'd answer their question. :p

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
DON'T use any spray on them. It will just make their feathers messy and they may breathe it in. Not worth it. Plain water is best.

Have they molted? This is important. Do you ever see any green feathers on bottom of cage? If so, can you take a picture of one and post it?

Most Reactions

Latest posts