Not sure if she is with eggs or ?

OP
peachesANDslugger

peachesANDslugger

May 3, 2015
Update on my Peaches, she's back to her old self, thankfully. The vet did call us and said the test came back postive for PDD, OR Bornavirus, it's devastating to us, but we are ready to fight for her and with her. We do practice good hygiene and always have, and our 2 only birds have only been around each other. We are hoping someday they will find a cure, for now she's doing well, and has responded well to treatment.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sorry to hear she isn't well. :(

Is it possible you purchased her with the virus and only now is showing symptoms of it? If so, it would be highly recommended to get in contact with whoever you purchased your birds from and let them know. It would be bad practice for them if they are selling sick birds. (assuming she had it all along and didn't get it from somewhere else)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm so sorry to hear this. I know from personal experience how devastating this news can be.

The test does not detect PDD. It detects Avian Bornavirus. There are around 9 strains of this, only 2 of which can lead to PDD. And unfortunately, there is no way at this time to discern just which strain your bird has.

If, however, you've caught this early enough, the next step is for Peaches to get started on an anti-inflammatory regimen. This will slow the progression of the disease and potentially extend her life.

Most Reactions

Latest posts