October is Breast Cancer Awareness month...

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
So, to show my support, I put this together:

for those not aware, Destiny is one of our cats, a random stray dumped on the street that no one claimed, but she claimed our hearts and made herself at home with us. She developed aggressive breast cancer a few months after coming home with us, but through surgery, she had 5 tumors removed and has had a partial mastectomy and has ever since been cancer free and is still a very precious part of our life... especially this morning by jumping on our heads to wake us up!

I'll keep everyone who has been touched by cancer (of any kind really) in my mind and hope for a recovery :) just wanted to show my support to all those touched by it, since we know the same thing first hand.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
That is wonderful that you were able to help such a beautiful cat. We always raise money at work for pink ribbon day. It is always good to see the boys tucking into pink items for morning tea.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I never knew cats could get breast cancer, but I'm glad she is alright now! I love seeing the football players with pink sneakers. Great thread~

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I never knew cats could get breast cancer, but I'm glad she is alright now! I love seeing the football players with pink sneakers. Great thread~

Pink sneakers....pink penalty flags....

I like it, too. A LOT!!! :)

Yes, cats AND dogs (I believe ALL mammals) can develop breast or mammary cancer, that is another reason why it's so important to spay your animals, females preferably before they have their first cycle/heat.

This IS one great thread!!! Thank you for starting it. :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
ahhh Dally, you have an amazing heart.
my father passed away from colon cancer 12 years ago, and always support any cancer society, anytime anywhere.
.....she's just a beautiful cat with a beautiful soul

OP
DallyTsuka

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i lost my nonno to lung cancer when i was a kid, and i lost my childhood cat to bone cancer.

destiny has taught us that even if it looks really bad, it doesnt always mean the end.

cancer can be beat, she proves that.

i've seen pink things getting passed around facebook already and even those girl games to support it are starting too. though, i think guys should be included as well... because even though its extremely rare, they too can get breast cancer.

as to cats and breast cancer, our vet told us that its rare in cats under 9 years old which is odd as the vet estimated Destiny to be no younger than 2 and no older than 5 at the time of her diagnosis, based on her dental condition. he gave us a pamphlet on the subject, which explained that 80% of mammary tumors in cats are malignant and it does indeed increase in risk with each heat cycle, which is why cats should be spayed before their first heat. we had no control over that as she was already older when she walked into our lives. also, siamese are more prone to it than any other breed, according to the info given to us.

and dogs and cats can get it, and rabbits are also highly prone. now we make it a point to check their bellies to be sure all are okay. especially destiny, as there's a chance it may come back. so those of you with furry pets, give them a good tummy rub every now and again (if they like it, 2 of our cats love it, the other 2 hate it). not only is it a good bonding time, but its also good to check their health!

Most Reactions