Odd Question

Talons

Aug 13, 2012
Alright, maybe not that odd.
You see, I don't own an African Grey, but I'd really like to, and I've done research out the wazoo. (About many species, actually.)

I'm basically a beginner to birds. I think an African Grey would be a bit much, but I met one 3 years ago and haven't been able to shake my admiration. I've researched many other kinds of parrots, mainly pionus, poicephalus, cockatiels and conures, but alas I find none quite compare in my eyes.

Also, a friend of my sister's once told me, upon my asking what kind of bird is suitable for a beginner (budgies, cockatiels, conures, right?) that I should just get the bird I wanted as long as I can properly care for it because with all birds you learn the same things from them and the only difference is that some are more intimidating, bite harder, and vary in attention requirements. I find that hard to believe...

I've come to realize greys are quite pricey (as most parrots are :)) and it seems as though they are very touchy and high maintenance.
Is this true?
I've also heard that greys can have a special "connection" with their owners that other parrots do not. I don't believe this at all, but I would like to know if smaller parrots such as conures, cockatiels and lovebirds bond with you on the same level.

Please share your thoughts and if you will, suggest different species.
:yellow2::green1::orange::grey:

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I use to have a quaker parrot who recently passed away. but he bonded to me so much! we were inseparable and he was a very quick learner and loved to give kisses! :)

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
There's something special about a bird that can make relevant conversation.

We got Greybeard for about 1/3 normal price, because "Grumpy Girl" had been in the bird store over a year, being too grumpy to be bought, I guess. He went for wifey immediately. There are lots of Greys at bargain prices if you are willing to work with a plucker.

YeloCrowd1252.jpg

In front of the Old Faithful lodge in Yellowstone.

incognito

Jul 3, 2012
Pakistan
Parrots
4 Pairs of CAG, Blue Fronted Amazon breeder, Vosmaeri Eclectus pair breeder, 20 Cockatiels & chicks, 3 breeder pair of INR, 2 Breeder Pair of Lorries, 2 Monk Parrot Pairs, 2 Rump Pairs, 50 love birds
you can start from any parrot you want to . its just level of commitment from your end matters. Macaws, eclectus, cockatoo, grey they fall in the category of high maintenance parrot but i am sure anyone can manage who has a urge to have a feathered friend.

love birds, budgerigar, cocktails, Rosella do not require that much of commitment and can be easily accommodate your commitment towards them

from your way of asking i feel like you want to own a bird but you are not ready for all the responsibilities come along.

in my opinion before risking anything, you must be aware of ABC of feathered friend, yes we are here to help you as long as you want us

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
I am a new bird owner, while my husband has experience with Pionus I only have pet-sitting experience with cockatiels as my personal bird experience. I put in a month of research on various websites and on forums. I also was very particular about the personality of bird we adopted because of our particular situation (we have small children and I wanted to be sure the bird would be able to adapt to a noisy active household and not prone to nippiness). So we researched and I checked all sorts of places for available birds. We found out about Pepper and I was still debating between a pionus and a Timneh grey, and getting a rehome vs. a young bird. Pionuses are excellent gentle birds and if Pepper hadn't come up that's probably what we would have gone with, but after talking to her owner a few times on the phone it was apparent her personality would work great.

The amount of time they take really varies. I would imagine if you were gone long hours every day you would need to take that into consideration because that really effects some birds, and greys can be more sensitive to that. Out of cage time is crucial to keeping a happy healthy bird and it's hours a day. Appropriate cage setup in important, and proper food. All this you will find out if you research. I recommend Sally Blanchard's site, this site, and Pampered Peep's site for good information. I am also reading Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot. So as long as you thoroughly research it, figuring out the crucial aspects of grey care and if you can provide it, you'll probably be fine. I'd recommend looking into Pionuses as well, they are really sweet easygoing birds, they don't have the same potential for talking but they really do make excellent pets.

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
My wife and I have had Greys. We started 20 years ago with Paddywack, now on the Rainbow Bridge, and now have Bindy (Congo) and Babu (Timneh). They are highly intelligent and require both interaction from their "flock" as well as toys with which to play. They are great talkers and really interact with you. This is a plus and a minus, because if you do not spend enough time with them, they get moody, nippy and can pluck themselves bare. If you spend the time, you will have a devoted pet.

It's said that Congos, which are the larger of the two and have the bright scarlet tail, tend to be more one person birds, but will tolerate other "flock-mates." Timnehs are more social. (We have our first Timneh, so I can't say for sure.)

They are definitely not screamers like Macaws, Cockatoos and Amazons. (I've owned all three in some form and can attest to these birds' great lung capacity.)

Good luck with your choice. Spend the time and the Greys can be a wonderful companion bird for years.

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
Greys are very special, unique parrots. I have a very strong bond with my TAG and imagine other grey people have strong bonds too.

Agreed...my wife had a special bond with Paddywack, and greatly mourned his passing. My bond was that Paddy enjoyed "tormenting" me. He would sit on my hand, nip me, tell me "Bad Bird" "Stop it" and then laugh. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I would do all your research and make sure that you can accommodate the bird you want, and if you can, I'd get it. Just remember that it's like having a 2 year old with a beak and feathers forever.

Most Reactions