Off Seed for the First Time in 35 Years

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
My BFA Sam turned 35 this February. Since I have had him ( all 35 years ) he has been a seed junkie. I added pellets about 25 years ago, but always had to include some seed. If there was none, he would fling everything out of his cup looking for it. He would eat the pellets, but only as long as there was some seed.

About two years ago, I added Harrison's and Roudybush to his pellet choices. Along with Zupreem Fruit Blend, which he loves, I felt that he was getting a good diet along with his fruits and veggies.

Last week, I decided to try and see if I could eliminate the seed. I started giving him a mix of the three pellets, and it worked! I guess that with all the different pellets, he wasn't too bothered by the lack of seeds.

The first few days were a little odd. He would look in the cup, and wait for seed. However, it was only a few minutes before he would start eating the pellets, and so far we have gone a week with no seed.

I guess the outside birds will be happy for a while. I am really glad to finally have Sammie off the seed and onto a true pelleted diet. :green:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
That is a wonderful accomplishment and benefit for Sammie's health.

Many folks advocate some seeds in the diet, if you subscribe to that notion a few might be used as treats?

OP
Anita1250

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
I am holding off on the treat seeds for a while. Don't want him looking for them again! Now, I use a small piece of walnut as a treat. With no more seed in the diet, the fat in the walnut should be ok.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZEtVbJT5c"]Royal Choral Society: 'Hallelujah Chorus' from Handel's Messiah - YouTube[/ame]

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
With all the pets I've ever had.... dogs, cats, rabbits and now a bird, I've found that leaving them to free feed on healthy stuff that they're not particularly excited about (vegetables and pellets in the bird's case) and offering them treats and some table food like pizza in moderation has worked the best (they all seem to love pizza no matter the species). Same thing goes with human kids lol.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The term 'seed' has a very large number of meanings. Understanding that not all seed is bad for Amazons. The big no-no for Amazons is Sunflower seed and it spin-offs of like seed product. The other is Peanuts. There is a very wide selection of seeds, grains, and nuts that in reasonable amounts are acceptable to provide to an Amazon. One of the big goals is to reduce the amount of protein provided an Amazon.

Note: Limit or halt Sugar and Salt in your Amazon diet. Hey, there is nothing more exciting than a full-on Hormonal Amazon with a sugar high!

OP
Anita1250

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Sam only gets sugar from fruit, and really hasn't been very hormonal in years. His big love is sunflower seeds, so we eliminate those. He never liked peanuts. Always threw the nuts and played with the shells.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sam only gets sugar from fruit, and really hasn't been very hormonal in years. His big love is sunflower seeds, so we eliminate those. He never liked peanuts. Always threw the nuts and played with the shells.

You may just want to check the listings of the blend of additives that are part of the combination of pellets you are feeding. You just may find that some are near zero (sugar) and others are a bit more than you may realize. Please understand, that I am not down playing pellets, just raising a cautionary flag.

I had guessed that Sunflower seed may had been the foundation to the word seed. When you visit your Avian Vet next assure that you have run a full spectrum Blood exam, plus target Liver chems and functions. Also check for Heart functionality. Once again, just a cautionary flag after all at 35 he should have eased a bit, but can still be stir enough to let you know he is still King of the Home.

Congratulations on getting your Amazon off Sunflower Seed. That is a major win!!! Congratulations!!!

Amazon's Rule!

OP
Anita1250

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
He just had all of his bloods done. A bit high on the liver enzymes, that is why the push to get rid of the seed. He is now on milk thistle, and the liver enzymes came down over 25 points with that. He will always be king of the house! That is for sure.

However, he is a very mellow bird. Wants to be cuddled and handled. Loves to sit with us on the couch and watch TV. Laughs at the laugh tracks. Lets us know when a bathroom break is needed. He is a great bird and we love him so much!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You are clearly an Amazon Snob household! And, Thank-You, for taking the extra steps in your visit to the Avian Vet's office! Sounds like you have a real lover on your hands! Please take care of not letting the word get out that Amazon's can be real Lovers! :D

An Amazon Rules Your Home, You Are Just So Very Luckly!

Most Reactions