Off to the breeders!!

Shayner

Dec 4, 2013
Port severn, Ontario, Canada
Parrots
2 budgies ( Emmet, Dallas )
African grey soon!!
So I'm off to see my breeder and see some greys on sunday. Anything i should look for or ask my breeder about her birds or any of the chicks? :)

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Congrats!! That's so cool! I don't know much about picking a baby sorry, but I hope you get the sweetest, smartest, healthiest one!

KevH

Aug 31, 2013
ENGLAND
Parrots
5 year old CAG GIZMO
4 year old DYHA RIO
2 year old YELLOW NAPE RUBY
4 month old greenwing macaw Myha
2 year old CAG ROXY
12 year old rescue CAG MARLEY
15 year old rescue CAG SMOKEY
just let the bird pick you.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
here is a list of questions I would ask:

have the parents been vet checked, if so ask to see the vet documents
do the chicks come with a health guarantee?

ask if it has been hand fed AND hand raised, they are not the same.(don't let them tell you they are cause they ARE NOT)

ask about diet,(are the parents and babies on a pellet diet, along with vegetables, beans, leafy greens, etc...

socialization(is it just with the breeder or with friends and family)

banded?

ask to see the parents(and their diet)

how long have they been breeding AG's?

if they don't let you see the parents or the aviary(take a good look to see how clean it is)
you may decide to hold off or don't get the bird.

most reputable breeders will allow people to view their aviary....now some will not if they are breeding, or if they have the strictest rules to eliminate possible viruses/contaminents being brought in....just go with your gut instinct

also ask about deposits.....are they refundable should something happen to the baby before you pick it up?....do you get a receipt?

do they dna, if so how much?(only if you want to know the sex)(shouldn't be anymore than $20.00)....don't let them hose you on that

Often I go with a line of questions, then when I get there, I have a million more.

What is the name of the breeder Shayner, I may know them or have heard about them.:)

I do know there use to be a excellent breeder in Innisfil, I can't remember her name but she comes highly recommended, are you heading off to Wasaga Beach way by any chance?....the weather is suppose to be rotten tomorrow with plenty of snow.

...ok, my daughter has just informed me that I am coming across like a know it all,geez, I don't think I am, if I am I apologize. I always try and be thorough when purchasing a bird, and it just comes from making plenty of mistakes along the way.

Last edited:

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Youre coming across as a know it all, because you do. :) It's experience and you're spot on with the questions and stuff.

If your gut says 'wrong', don't go through with it, but Crimson pretty much covered any questions you might want to ask!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
well, now I'm very embarrassed....

OP
Shayner

Shayner

Dec 4, 2013
Parrots
African grey soon!!
Crimson the breeder is lorwill aviary. Its run by willard and lorraine shantz. Just outside of barrie towards midland tho not innisfil. Its over by snowvalley! You really know a lot and thats the info iv been waiting on hearing from someone! There all great questions i asked a few that you listed already so that reassurance was great and I'm only going out on sunday afternoon to see some birds. From what iv heard there a pretty reputable breeder. There both retired so lots of time on there hands lol! Ill ask those questions that i haven't on sunday! I think she said they have been breeding for a long time tho! Which would be nice!
She said she would basically show me there whole setup on sunday and she would answer any questions i had so that seems like a good sign! Thanks for all the help by the way! :)
Mayden, I'm going to be trusting my gut as my main source for sure its in my opinion one of the best ways to make a big decision like this! Thanks :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
no, it was Precious Parrots (Darlene Perkins)
I've heard of Lorwill Avairy, they sound very good, so happy for you!

OP
Shayner

Shayner

Dec 4, 2013
Parrots
African grey soon!!
Cool well i may contact darlene as well and see what shes got to offer and make my choice from there! Why not haha thanks again for all the info ill let you know what was all said after i get home on sunday haha!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
....all I can say is SHOCKING!!!

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
Way to leave us in the cold! Now we are all wondering about the story!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
....oooops sorry!...I'll tell Shayne to tell you what happened

OP
Shayner

Shayner

Dec 4, 2013
Parrots
African grey soon!!
Heres the story everyone sorry for the late story telling i was just a little upset with what went down today

Hey so i went to lorwill today instead of sunday because one of her friends passed away so we did our visit today.

So... I get to lorwill and find out shes a hoarder! Theres piles and piles of clothing, boxes, garbage and just junk laying all over the house. Theres cobwebs and dust everywhere. The house smells like dead animals, cat pee, and mold. The amount of ammonia in that house is probably extremely high. The house is a 1 bathroom 1 bedroom single story small house and she probably has close to 100 parrots in the house. And 4 cats too. But this house was gross. She said shes been breeding for a long time but none of the cages were cleaned. There was mouldy bird poo all over the bottom of her 20 year old CAG ( echo's ) cage.

She told me she had 2 DNA tested female CAG chicks the younger one was about 7 weeks old and the older of the 2 was around 11 weeks old! They both looked very healthy and happy, i was very surprised because of the living conditions. I have a pic of them btw. There both very happy active chicks and are talkative to no end.. I don't know what to do? I need some help here... I feel bad for all these birds and whatever else shes hoarding in that house... Idk if i want a grey from there tbh?? What are your thoughts??? Thanks btw

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
Oh no! That's horrible! I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes... It's a tough decision. Save babies from a terrible situation or get from a better breeder..... I'll be watching to see your decision.

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Ergh wow that sounds just awful!! Now I am not the tidiest person in the world but how could people live like that! Not only the smell but the noise must be intolerable as well! Were the other birds in good condition too? I would consider reporting them...

Most Reactions

Latest posts