any help for loss

cupmania

Dec 10, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
had one past away 12/10/13

Sweetpea African grey
Just had to post this!!

I lost my African Grey Timneh Sweet pea Last night 12/09/13 she was only 9 would have been 10 in march of 2014.Im really shocked and so hurt she was such a wonderful bird and companion!!She knew well over 100 words and just in her short little life!!

I don't know what happened she had no signs of anything up until the last hr!She started to breath very hard almost looking for air!and was very very sleepy couldn't even keep her eyes open!!She was clinging on to her cage that I had open because she knew if she didn't she would fall over she had no strength.

I was able to pull her little feet off of the cage and I held her on my chest and could here her breathing hard.I started to rub her head and then she started to ease on her breathing some!!But then she started crying lke pain!!then she took her head and put it on my shoulder and rested it there!i told her it was ok to go if she needed too!after that her breathing got even easier and then she passed away only a short time after!!

Does anyone have a idea what may have caused such a fast thing like that to happen?She was fine no sighns of anything up until the last hr before she passed!!And there was no way to get her to a clinic we don't have many here and at 10pm nothing open

I TOOK HER today to have her cremated and will put her in a special urn.

She will be so so missed by everyone around me and exspecialy myself as having her from a baby up until the very end its very very hard as now my house is so quiet with out her.

Sweetpea

03/30/04-12/09/13

may you fly high my friend you are at home and in peace

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
I'm am soooo sorry for your loss, but Thank You for being there and loving her the way every bird should, especially during such an important life event.
Good luck to your own healing.
I don't know if anyone could guess what the cause is. They are very sensitive animals.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm very sorry for your loss of Sweetpea....The only way to find out is by doing an autopsy....Fly free Sweetpea!!!!

Katiejayne

Sep 30, 2013
Parrots
African grey
Green cheek conure
I'm very sorry for your lose, you should take some comfort in the fact you were with her at least she wasn't alone. I'm sorry I couldn't even begin to guess what caused it

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
That's so sad. I'm very sorry for your loss ,they're like a family member. I have no idea what caused her death. Could it maybe heart attack? Do you have other parrots in your flock?

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
No advice, and I know how it hurts. My sincerest condolences. I know no necropsy is possible now that she been cremated, but it may not have lead to any definite answer anyway. Sending you hugs, just know she has joined the joyful raucous flock of greys at the Rainbow Bridge, and you will see her again some day.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The only way to know for sure would have been to do a necropsy.

I'm no vet, but what your describing from the sudden onset sounds almost like some sort of toxic exposure event.

Most Reactions