OH NO!! CAG is starting to bite me!!

IBBean

Jun 3, 2013
Hi,

I have a male CAG, about 2 1/2 years old. I took him in about 6 months ago from an owner who was no longer able to care for him. He immediately came to me, NEVER bit or even tried, very friendly and loving. I was surprised as most birds I have known (and there have been a few) take awhile to warm up to a person. The first thing I noticed was that this boy had been very clipped, practically unable to fly at all, even his tail feathers were clipped. His tail feathers are now completely grown out, and most all of others are as well, in other words, he can fly, and for the past couple of evenings has taken a couple of rounds around my bedroom! He seems to enjoy that and also "strutting and stretching" his feathers out. ANYWAY, after his time of being out last night, and time to go to bed, I asked him to step up, which he has always done fine in the past, but last night he bit me....hard, drew blood even :( My first thought was, wow how weird but maybe he just wasn't ready to cage up, so I left him out a little longer. However, each time I tried to get him to step up he would lunge at me and try to bite me. I wound up having to get an extra stick I keep in my room and have him step up on that and then into cage. Anybody else had this happen before? It just seems odd to have a bird go from super mellow to drawing blood. Is it perhaps he just saw a shadow and that scared him? Or maybe feeling too cocky with now being able to fly? Would love some pointers. I have had birds (CAG and a 'Too), never dealt with this particular thing happening.

Thanks guys!!

:grey:

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
It might be that he got to cocky from being able to fly.

hope this helps a little.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
You could just use a stick for step-ups, and target training. He'll adjust in time..the benefits of flight are worth it. :) start from the beginning with him. He'll test you, but he's not going to do anything to actually lose you if you're bonded with him. Not saying you have to use a stick forever, but if it helps to get him in at night, use the stick. :)

OP
I

IBBean

Jun 3, 2013
I have always heard that having a bird who has good flight is a good thing. All of my previous birds have been clipped, not harshly, they had some flight, but not total free flight. How long does the "cockiness" last? Tonight was worse, he wouldn't let me even touch him while out....not cool with me :(
However, I am willing to hang in there, but geez....miss the really mellow bird.....

Katiejayne

Sep 30, 2013
Parrots
African grey
Green cheek conure
My mum had the same thing when she got her bird his wings had been damaged from clipping and hadn't grown back in years then he finally got them back and started flying and he did the same he had always been so friendly (with mum) and he suddenly started biting her and he started destroying her furniture. She just rid it out, she bribed him with walnuts and cake lol and eventually he just went back to normal. Think it's just they get a big head for a while cuz they can fly lol

Heisenburd

Jan 6, 2014
IL
Parrots
Tilly; Blue and Gold Macaw
Guido; Congo Grey
It seems to be a common problem with flighted birds. They do get a head on their shoulder when they realize they no longer have to rely on you for transportation. A clipped bird knows it depends on you for safety, as well as a means of travel. Unfortunately, this is often what will keep a bird friendly and easy going. Once flighted, they think they can take care of themselves and if they don't want to do something, well... you can't make them! :p

I personally keep my birds clipped, but leave enough feather for decent resistance when wing flapping for exercise and to glide to the floor if they jump/fall. Some people do well with flighted birds, but it takes training and a lot of treats with some cocky birds. Just whatever works best for you and your CAG. Seems he has some dominance issues that need to be worked out.

Hope this helps some. :(

Katiejayne

Sep 30, 2013
Parrots
African grey
Green cheek conure
Think the comment above is right, some people have really strong views on clipping but at the end of the day it's got to be whats right for you, your house and your bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts