Normal head movements?

burdman

May 8, 2013
Moorpark Ca
Parrots
Eclectus parrot, rescue, Riley 13 yr old, CAG siblings Punkin and Munkin, 5 yr old
Hi, I was watching a CAG in a bird store and was wondering about a strange behavior she was displaying.
She cranes her head back and then swings it side to side vigorously, almost like she is looking for something above her.
Is this a normal behavior for a grey?
Thank you

Beasley

Feb 4, 2014
Outer Banks, NC
Parrots
Timneh AG
Congo AG
Parrots have excellent eye sight, as almost all birds do, and my TAG and CAG are always doing unusual head wags and bounces and impossible yoga poses. They might see the tiniest little moth flying around, or a speck of dust and they're just eyeing it. My CAG Beasley did such funny, odd gestures this afternoon, I thought about calling a Birdie Exorcist.

OP
burdman

burdman

May 8, 2013
Moorpark Ca
Parrots
Eclectus parrot, rescue, Riley 13 yr old, CAG siblings Punkin and Munkin, 5 yr old
Thanks Beasley. I am beginning to think this may be more of a nervous behavior, now that I've had more time to watch her. If you've ever seen Stevie Wonder playing keyboards, when he really gets into it he moves his head in a similar fashion. Kind of a strange way to describe the behavior, but it's the best example to fit what's going on.
I hear you on the impossible yoga moves. Never knew joints could be so flexible!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts