Oh Petco....

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh that is awesome! Your parents obviously know how important Lilo is to you! Congrats!

JoeJoe

Apr 18, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
1x - Green Alexandrine - 1x Green Quaker - 3x Lovebirds - 2x Cockatiels - 2x Zebra Finches
I have a Quaker that I got from Petco. He's a great parrot. I would add too that when I am in there the birds almost always seem very happy and excited to see you (doing tricks, climbing, etc, and the like)

Last edited:

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
I have a Quaker that I got from Petco. He's a great parrot. I would add too that when I am in there the birds almost always seem very happy and excited to see you (doing tricks, climbing, etc, and the like)

I guess it really depends on the area your from. I've had terrible experiences with birds in large pet chains in the states of New Jersey, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia), And around Tampa Florida, Which is near where i currently Live (I Live in Hudson Florida, Pasco County, About 40 minutes north of Tampa)

SydneyJoLynn

Aug 31, 2014
Orlando, Florida
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Lorenzo
The petco in my area (Hunters Creek, FL) currently has an incredibly knowledgeable staff about their feathered friends. :) I was talking with one of the managers who let me handle some of the birds they had. This particular location sells so many birds that the location was given two blue quakers to sell. (But at $800 each. Yikes...) There reasoning was that the coloring was so rare.

However, the staff does make evaluations on the customer before allowing them to make a purchase of a parrot. I had mentioned how I had previous bird handling experience, and even with this experience there were birds that they would not allow me (or any other customers) to handle because of their aggressive tendencies. They were extremely dedicated to ensuring that their birds receive forever homes.

I was very pleased in the amount of time the staff spent with the birds. I am weary, though, of where these birds may be coming from. But I feel that way about any big brand pet store.

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
The petco in my area (Hunters Creek, FL) currently has an incredibly knowledgeable staff about their feathered friends. :) I was talking with one of the managers who let me handle some of the birds they had. This particular location sells so many birds that the location was given two blue quakers to sell. (But at $800 each. Yikes...) There reasoning was that the coloring was so rare.

However, the staff does make evaluations on the customer before allowing them to make a purchase of a parrot. I had mentioned how I had previous bird handling experience, and even with this experience there were birds that they would not allow me (or any other customers) to handle because of their aggressive tendencies. They were extremely dedicated to ensuring that their birds receive forever homes.

I was very pleased in the amount of time the staff spent with the birds. I am weary, though, of where these birds may be coming from. But I feel that way about any big brand pet store.

Hunter's creek is not that far from me, i'll have to go check out that store :) It sounds neat that the staff is so dedicated. It may change my view on some of these stores, but i am always weary nonetheless. They have so much traffic in there the birds can get sick very easily. I'm glad they evaluate customers before they sell. I used to sell parrots at Todd Marcus Birds Exotic, and i had to deny sales quite a bit. One guy was like "I'm buying this cockatiel for my 4 yer old to teach him responsibility with animals. If he forgets to feed it and water it, and it dies, it will teach him a lesson that will stick with him" I told him "You dont deserve to be in the presence of this majestic animal, please leave my store" or something along those lines.

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
SydneyJoLynn: Im glad there are good ones out there! :) But usually the birds are over priced... There was a Jenday Conure at a Petco in Oregon and it was like almost $1,000!!!! :11: :52:I asked the manager and they said "Oh that is a very rare bird! They are not common in the US" :confused: ?????? What? So I said oh so "oh, so that's why I know more that 20 people that have them. Hm :rolleyes:

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Maybe it was because it was wayyyyy out in the country so to them its like a Hyacinth Macaw!

SydneyJoLynn

Aug 31, 2014
Orlando, Florida
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Lorenzo
SydneyJoLynn: Im glad there are good ones out there! :) But usually the birds are over priced... There was a Jenday Conure at a Petco in Oregon and it was like almost $1,000!!!! :11: :52:I asked the manager and they said "Oh that is a very rare bird! They are not common in the US" :confused: ?????? What? So I said oh so "oh, so that's why I know more that 20 people that have them. Hm :rolleyes:

Oh, overpriced doesn't surprise me. I was just mentioning to them how I remember just a few years ago how Cockatiels were about $40. Now they are $120. Eesh...

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Yes ours are about $150! And usually they don't look healthy :( Feathers are all messy it looks like they had an inbreeding issue. :(

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
My petco had tons of really socialized birds when they first opened. My mom was tempted to buy a galah. Now all they have is parakeets and they arent socialized at all.

Elliebird

Aug 24, 2014
Parrots
Sun Conure
I bought Ellie from petco and I have had my little cutie for 3yrs now :) She is the best companion I have had since my dog passed away, I love her and wouldn't trade her for the world!

I have a youtube channel im putting up videos of her when I can this is one of them :) [ame=http://youtu.be/uwLVJlI-8HQ]Ellie's Morning Stretches - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions