Old member of the striped shoulder tribe, new to the forum

cpsseals

Feb 29, 2016
Tomahawk, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
White Fronted Amazon
Green Cheek Conure
I'm excited to be a part of this forum, I love what I've seen so far and am excited that there are so many committed caretakers out there.

A little about myself. Recently retired from a big city job and now living on a distant chunk of land with a view of heaven.

I've worked with hookbills for many years. Mostly behavior modification back in the late 80's to about 2006. I've resisted taking birds into my own flock but have had to in order to properly re-home some. I've taken upto 3 years to find a proper home for one, Sam, a blue and gold Macaw that has been with his best buddy for 20 years now. I've worked with everything from lovebirds, toucans and Hyacinths. Wild caughts (way back when) and spoiled preteans.

My permanent flock consists of an 18 year old White Front Amazon, been with me for 17.5 years and 2 15 year old Green Cheek Conures.

I've always got a few cages cleaned and ready for emergencies. In the last few years, since retiring and moving to the country, I've been taking care of mostly wild, injured birds in my quarantine area and have enjoyed a 100% successful release rate. (great thing about wilds is that there's no need for Behaviour mods!)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there, and a warm welcome to the forums. :)

Many congrats on your recent retirement. Living on a distant chunk of land with a view of heaven sounds like my kind of idea for when we get there (retirement that is). :D Soon....but not soon enough. ;)

Great intro! So glad you joined us.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
hi and welcome seals: you sound like a good caretaker, hope to see some pix of your flock sometime!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Hi there, and a warm welcome to the forums. :)

Many congrats on your recent retirement. Living on a distant chunk of land with a view of heaven sounds like my kind of idea for when we get there (retirement that is). :D Soon....but not soon enough. ;)

Great intro! So glad you joined us.

Just found out yesterday 36 more month for me and I am done :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums! So glad you joined us! Thanks for the very interesting intro! Looking forward to hear more about your trio and experiences with the wild ones.

OP
C

cpsseals

Feb 29, 2016
Parrots
White Fronted Amazon
Green Cheek Conure
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I encourage you all to retire. But don't think that you'll have that much more time on your hands.
Taking care of the farm (llamas, alpacas and donkeys Oh My!), running a consulting business, volunteer fire fighting and welding indestructible parrot things is kinda like working 3 full time jobs but worth every second of it and it sure beats 30 years of conflict and shift work.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Welcome to the forum! Your life after retirement certainly sounds interesting! :)

OP
C

cpsseals

Feb 29, 2016
Parrots
White Fronted Amazon
Green Cheek Conure
A view of one of my guests watching over a little mule deer that sought refuge at our place for 5 months. She was badly chewed up by coyotes but by spring time she was 100%. Trick was feeding her without ever being seen by her. The window, where she is sleeping, is beside our bed so she was easy to keep an eye on.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 56
OP
C

cpsseals

Feb 29, 2016
Parrots
White Fronted Amazon
Green Cheek Conure
A couple pictures of the family Amazon on the over engineered perch I welded together a few years ago. Base is made of 2 worn out harrow blades and a section of polished telpost. Perches are bent pieces of various diameter rod to get differing angles and thickness for footing. Fits 2 or 3 birds easily and none feel trapped because there is always at least 2 directions of movement available.

Yes, it's darn heavy!

Attachments

• IMG_1898 (2).jpg
    IMG_1898 (2).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1901 (2).jpg
    IMG_1901 (2).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 49

Most Reactions

Latest posts