ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
So today I came downstairs to a weird-ish sight:

my smallest and oldest spider Hariet ( a Grammostola rosea ) decided it was too hot in her old skin - so this morning I found what I thought to be a weirdly contorted spider ... but turned out to be her old outfit.

It's been years since she molted, so I was not prepared for a twin to show up :)
She is a grand old lady of (at least) 28 years old, still going strong!
(a rehomer of course)

The other ones are still growing lads so they molt quite regularly (though they are slowing down now- one is almost an adult ... he's locked himself in atm so I am expecting a fresh suit on him pretty soon)

Pictures will follow (if I am lucky - I lost the connect-to-the-computer-cable again / blaming the parrots of course :p )

OP
C

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Wow that’s cool how long can spiders live for?

Thats is the fun thing: Nobody knows!

Just like parrots- the first ones that were kept in captivity were all wildcaught (some of them still are)- so no 'hatchdate' available.
Nowadays some people breed them- and the babies (= spiderlings, but are called 'slings' ) grow up and old ...

The males usually do not last long ( you all know the stories of them being eaten by the lady-spiders, of course this is true for some species and untrue for others ) they spend their adult-period of life running around looking for girlfriends -> so a lot of milage, lot of wear and tear and early death.
The womenfolk hang around in their webs or burrows and spend their energy on spinning egg-sacks, taking care of the young (in a way) etc..
(flirting on tinder? ;) )
In some species it's the last thing they do, but in some there is enough energy left over to keep on living...and they do just that; for years and years and years.

The theraphosa males usually die between 5-7 years of age (it's takes them about 3 to mature..), the females go on well in their 35-40's.
But these are amongst the largest spiders, so for most species it will be shorter.

Hariet was estimated to die after her 20-est birthday or so, then the world wide web decided they were mistaken, so now she is also in the 40-ish (but might just as easily going to be 60 years or more) catagory.
Only one way to find out... :09:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Wow! That is fascinating! I had no idea. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions