Oldest bird on the forum please

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
This lovely lady is my avian soulmate (she's technically my mom's bird, but she has been bonded to me since the day I was born). Lucy was wild-caught as a sexually mature adult, so we will never be sure of her exact age. She was going to be a breeder bird, but my mom saw her before she was paired off and "saved" her from that life by offering the breeder a price he couldn't refuse. She's been in the family since the mid 1970's, making her at least 45 years old, if not older. My parents got all their birds between 1973-1975, but Barney (green cheek amazon) and Alfie (goffin cockatoo) were purchased as unweaned babies, so they are 41 and 40. Just has to share a pic of her because I love her SO much (she carries her age well, huh? :D)

photo-7_zpsec250dfe.jpg

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
She doesn't look a day over 44...lol

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I have a yellow shouldered amazon, do they live as long as the others? I'm 33 and would like to have him for the rest of my life.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I have a yellow shouldered amazon, do they live as long as the others? I'm 33 and would like to have him for the rest of my life.

The smaller amazon species (which yours is) generally live about 50-60 years. The larger ones live 60-80 years. You may not have him your entire life, but with proper care and diet, he should be with you a good, long time:)

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Well that puts me between 80 and 90. That works for me.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Well that puts me between 80 and 90. That works for me.

Your guy isn't the one who's 15 and needing to learn new activities is he? Lol, if he's young, he should be with you the rest of your life. There's just so many birds on this forum, so hard to keep track of everyone!:09:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Beautiful bird! Yes, she hides her age well.
I bet it was nice growing up with birds and learning about larger parrots from your parents at a young age... My parents didn't like birds, so I had to discover them on my own later as probably most people do.

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
My little guy is just turning a year

bertsirkin

Mar 6, 2014
CT
Parrots
Boosie - part bluefront amazon / part panama amazon
Boosie isn't the oldest, but we've had her since she was 6-months old. She's part Blue-front Amazon and part Panama Amazon.

We first saw her when she was 3 months old, but the breeder here in Connecticut wouldn't let us take her until she was 6 months old.

Birthday, March 17, 1981 (will be 33 yrs old in 11 days). Born on St. Patrick's Day - her brother was named Patrick. But she's worn "the green" ever since.

Here's a picture of her at 6-months and 32 years.
boosiecomp.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It is so wonderful to hear about birds who are older - Kudos to all of you who have had one for so long, and to see them thriving!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
My Bosley is at least 36, maybe older because he was wild caught and his original owner died. He had him for 32 years

Turk

Feb 14, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Bogey - YN Amazon Hatched Jan. 1982
I bought my Zon when I was 20 and he was a few weeks old... how time flies!

Sungazer

Feb 14, 2013
Australia
Parrots
Galah
Eclectus
Crimson Rosella
My Next door neighbor actually they are three doors down which out here is a few km has a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo that is between 70-80 years old. This bird unfortunately has been living in an old stlyle cocky age for all that time I think / assume and lives on a nearly all sunflower diet. The cocky is a happy chap that is quite talkative. Just recently his owner passed away and his elderly wife is looking after the bird. They have offered to me for free but I really have my hands full looking after the birds I have.

KennyDolly

Apr 17, 2014
Parrots
Scarlet - 71 year old Scarlet Macaw

Bomber - 9 year old Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Marigold - 10 month old GW Macaw

Alvin & Eleanor - 3 year old Budgies

Regis - 17 year old zebra finch
I've got a scarlet macaw, creatively named Scarlet. She is now 71 years old. She was given as a wedding gift to my grandparents in 1951, I've had her for a few years now. She hatched on May 11th, 1951 :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I've got a scarlet macaw, creatively named Scarlet. She is now 71 years old. She was given as a wedding gift to my grandparents in 1951, I've had her for a few years now. She hatched on May 11th, 1951 :)

Wow, that is fantastic:) Scarlet is like a living, breathing, wonderful family heirloom.

Bartleby

Apr 13, 2014
Parrots
Blue-fronted Amazon & Blue-throated Macaw

If she hatched in 1951, wouldn't she be turning 63 this year?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
She said it was given as a wedding gift, not how old it was when they got it, so maybe it was a few years old already?

KennyDolly

Apr 17, 2014
Parrots
Scarlet - 71 year old Scarlet Macaw

Bomber - 9 year old Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Marigold - 10 month old GW Macaw

Alvin & Eleanor - 3 year old Budgies

Regis - 17 year old zebra finch
Wow! Yeah math error there... They were married on May 11th, 1951. Scarlet was born in 1943, but, supposedly (as my great uncle says) the same day, May 11th. He loves to tell stories, so who knows the truth, but he had her since 1943 so she is at least 71!

Most Reactions

Latest posts