OMG! She ate something good for her!

BanalityBob

Mar 21, 2011
Ohio, Ho!
Parrots
Penelope: 12 year old Quaker Parakeet rescue//
Günter: 3 month old Peachfaced Lovebird
Penelope, as far as I know, has never eaten fruit or vegetables in her 12 year life. Obviously, this is something that the rescue who had her before me and I have been trying to remedy with little success. She, so far, has just chucked any and all fruits and veggies onto the floor of her cage, or, in extreme situations involving grapes, either thrown them out of the cage or thrown the entire bowl out of the cage.

Yesterday, she ate an apple!

Well, more like a bite or two, then, when she realized I was watching, she threw it to the bottom of her cage and screamed at me, but she looked like she was enjoying it. Today, she chewed on a piece of carrot for a bit, so my hopes are high. I feel like my months of wasting large amounts of produce are finally paying off. I will win over my fussy, little, green, dictator yet!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
See Penelope?? Fruit and veggies aren't so evil afterall! lol Good job!

ellsiebird

Mar 19, 2011
Parrots
"Ellsie" Female, 2 years old, Senegal
are you fruit and vegs seperate to your dry food? i used to chuck thr odd veg ontop of her dry food and she hated it, as soon as she had seperate bowls she can not get enough, its so strange but if it works!! x

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
Way to go little Penelope....good job...

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Congratulations to you and Penelope! :) I've often said that Quakers can be fussier about food than the most demanding gourmets-- but persistence does pay off. Just try not to think about all that wasted food... :D

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
From the sound of it she may do well if you leave her alone with the veggies; just a guess on my part from your description of the behavior.

OP
BanalityBob

BanalityBob

Mar 21, 2011
Ohio, Ho!
Parrots
I was mixing the fruits and veggies in with her dry foods or placing them side by side. I'll try a different bowl next time and see if she goes for it. Also, I'll leave the room and see if she's a closet healthy eater. She is such a ridiculously fussy little bird. She only eats the yellow and sometimes the green pellets, the red pellets get put in her water bowl or chucked outside the cage, and the purple pellets (and some of the green ones) all end up on the floor of her cage. Luckily for her, I think everything she does is adorable, so she gets to be a spoiled brat.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i agree with ellsie mixin pellets with fresh = tantrums with nut lol

i only use small amounts of pellets each day, or nut throws them out! after shes thrown them out i don't re fill! but its so funny when she is throwing them out, as she has a right good angry chatter to herself, and is very dramatic, full head swings, beak bangs etc

another of nuts fav is sugar snap peas (peas in pod) stuck into her toys :) she only eats the pea but loves to shred the pods

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
lmao Too cute! -snicker- shame on you dad, for spying on her! (Vids! we want to see too!) good job Penelope! keep him on his toes, Bob and Weave, he dosent count the pieces so he wont notice that not everything ends up on the floor!

OP
BanalityBob

BanalityBob

Mar 21, 2011
Ohio, Ho!
Parrots
I do count the pieces, actually. Ususally, it ends up with me being sad. Today I was super excited when I found that her bowl was missing 2 pieces of apple. Then I found them on the floor of the cage. I was slightly consoled by the fact that they did have bites taken out.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
make it a game, get the puzzle feeders and put the fresh food in them, or if she likes sweet things, you can dip them in diluted honey and bake them for a few minuets kinda like drying, but just enough to dry the outside. if she eats those, you can slowly wean her off the honey onto unsweetened foods.

Most Reactions

Latest posts