On a scale from 0-cockatoo... IRN?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
We are considering adding an Indian Ringneck to our flock in the next year or two, but haven't really been around them. I have owned birds all my life, and love their noise. I am wondering though, on a scale from 1-10 with one being a toy and ten being a cockatoo, how loud is their voice? And what is typical as far as amount of noise, from my Pionus who basically squwak good morning and good night, and little in between, to a budgie that never ever stops chattering? Of course there are loud Pionus and silent budgies, each bird is unique, but what has your experience been? I know they aren't typically super cuddly, and don't "stay tame" easily if not handle often, but obviously I want to spend a lot of time with it, or I wouldnt be getting one. Any thoughts?

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I highly recommend YouTubing IRN screams. They're shrill, they hurt, and they're loud. I don't have my new baby yet (16 more days! Still decorating the cage... silly me), but I'm expecting constant chatter, loud screams, and looooots of noise in comparison to my conure :rolleyes:

I can't answer you 100% yet, but I'll update you, haha!

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thanks! I would appreciate that. In high school I had Quakers, and they were LOUD. In fact, I used them like body guards because no one wanted to bother me in my room because anyone even approaching the door led to both of them screaming at the top of their lungs :) I have youtubed, but there is only so much you can gather from a volume-controlled video :)

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
We are considering adding an Indian Ringneck to our flock in the next year or two, but haven't really been around them. I have owned birds all my life, and love their noise. I am wondering though, on a scale from 1-10 with one being a toy and ten being a cockatoo, how loud is their voice? And what is typical as far as amount of noise, from my Pionus who basically squwak good morning and good night, and little in between, to a budgie that never ever stops chattering? Of course there are loud Pionus and silent budgies, each bird is unique, but what has your experience been? I know they aren't typically super cuddly, and don't "stay tame" easily if not handle often, but obviously I want to spend a lot of time with it, or I wouldnt be getting one. Any thoughts?

Keep in mind some people think that how loud a bird is has a lot to do with its environment
(noisy house, other birds to call to or jealous of)

My home is quiet and all my birds have been calm, Everyone

I also know some IRN's that are very quiet and calm
Don't write off the IRN, They can be Very Nice midsized birds !!

Joe

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
The other issue is what's annoying to you may be fine to someone else. A group of budgies isn't particularly loud, but would drive me batty. Macs are loud, but don't bother me one bit. I've heard an irn scream and it was pretty piercing to me, but might not be to you.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Kiwi, my IRN, was always fairly quiet. When he finally opened up, he would make some noises, but I find them much better than my lovebird. He would scream (short, higher pitched but not super high pitched), fly to the kitchen, land on the curtains and repeat.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Thanks folks. I am really thinking I may want one. I plan to go "hang out" in the house of a breeder if I can find one, and just soak in the noise before I make my final choice.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
How exciting to be welcoming a new baby! I love IRNS, they are so beautiful and have such lovely personalities.

I agree with a statement made by G.W. Joe. I think that the noise level, and type of noise in the household plays a large part. That in addition to the birds needs being met. Our house is pretty quiet, and so are our birds. They make noise, but I think as bird enthusiasts, we welcome their natural vocalizations. It's the screaming we would like to minimize. I'm no expert, but in my experience, a bird who is well adjusted and gets enough attention is probably not going to scream too much.

Can't wait to hear more about your new baby!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Before you get one, you may want to think long and hard about it. If your pionus is sweet and cuddly, this will more than likely change and may not be a good change either. They can get down right jealous of a new rival. Our Senegal is sweet and wonderful most of the time, but when we are baby sitting our grand baby, Tiki can get quite jealous. I walked by my wife the other day who was holding our grand baby and she was talking to him and for no apparent reason, Tiki tore into my index finger where she was sitting when I passed by them. YES, it hurt, YES it drew blood and YES, I will try and not make that mistake again.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Our landlords have an IRN. I never expected such a (comparatively small) bird could make such a big noise:52:, but I wouldn't put them anywhere close to the level of ear-shattering death screams as a too. As others have said, it's shrilly and high-pitched. He can also talk, and the words/phrases he says are high-pitched as well, so I think they are just high pitched birds. But from what I've heard, he is not a consistently loud bird, just gets noisy when his owners get home (which is pretty normal for any bird) or strangers are around, so a lot of their vocalization patterns matter on how you train and interact with them (just like any bird). I took care of him for a couple days while they were out of town, and boy did he let me know a strangers presence was not welcome, especially when I had to reach in the cage to take out his dishes lol:roll eyes: I was quite surprised at the volume out of such a little guy.

I think it would be a good idea if you either visit a rescue or petstore with IRNs to hear them and see how you feel about the noise they make. Personally, I cannot stand shrilly vocalizations. I much prefer louder, but lower pitched sounds (well, I would actually most prefer a bird with a mute button, but that's not reality lol). My zon can be heard down the block when he gets going, but I am more tolerant of his noises than a lower volume, higher pitch screech. Of course, many people have IRNs they absolutely love and everyone has a different definition of noises they can or can't live with. That is why it's so important with a naturally noisy animal to hear them first and decide what kind of noise you can live with on a day in day out basis:)

sabrecat666

Jul 20, 2011
Parrots
Guido - Jenday Conure, Nunzio - GCC and Kiwi - IRN

Kiwi can be loud when he does his flocking call. He is NOT however as loud as Guido my Jenday. Kiwi also learned to substitute his flocking call very quickly when he was looking for me. When I first got him when ever he would "flock call" I would answer with a short whistle. He quickly learned that when he wanted to know where I was to use the whistle I used. If I answer him he then stops looking for me and either goes back to chattering or playing.

As far as how chatty IRN's are all I can speak to is mine. He will get chatty for a while every day. Its almost like he is practicing his various whistle and grumble words, still nothing distinct as far as talking goes for him, but he loves to mimic household sounds like the microwave or the timer on the oven.

I have been very happy with the noise level of my IRN, but that could be because I had Guido for a year before I got Kiwi and was "Immunized" so to speak :)

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Mikey, thanks :) My Pionus are a bonded pair and are not cuddly with me. We work with them often, and FLC is cuddly when she wishes, but does not act jealous when we work with the Pionus. All three came from the same breeder, and while I disagree with a lot of the things she did, FLC was kept in a house with over 40 other birds, and most of the time at least 8 of them were out of the cage most of the time. She was very well socialized with other parrots, both larger and smaller. I know there may be tension and difficulty, but I am confident that we can continue to add to our flock :)

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
I want one too.... I've been researching and waiting. Today I visited a breeder and played with her birds for a little while. This week I am going over to play with them more and help her hand feed. I'm not sure when I will actually make a decision.. I'm also worried that my Drogo will not be happy about a new bird in his house.... lol..

reneeinms

Apr 8, 2014
Parrots
Indian Ringneck born 2/13/14
Green Cheek Conure born about 8/2013
This post is a little old, but I have to chime in here. I have a female 4 month old IRN. I also have a GCC. The GCC is ten times louder than the the IRN and GCCs are supposed to be "quiet" conures. My IRN is super quiet. She makes cute little noises when she's trying to find the GCC, but she only screams about once a month. My GCC screams every time I use the mop or she sees a balloon!

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Update! For our one year anniversary my husband bought me 2 baby IRNs, a blue female and a turquoise male, unrelated. The male is not yet weaned, and the female we have in our livingroom now! We spent several hours with the breeder in her home, heard some screams, and made our choices :) Blue was named Blue by her breeder, and my husband, a soldier, said "well she is 'Infantry Blue'" so it stuck. Infantry Blue, but we just call her Blue. She is a bit shy, as she was mostly parent raised but she is coming around rapidly! She cane make loud noises but is in general a quiet bird :) Our Conure is doing well with the addition as well :)

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Update: Ever heard of IRN "bluffing"? I had read all about it, or so I thought, and I was prepared for a lot of bites! Well a few days into having Blue, she began to get wilder and wilder, to the point I was afraid she would injure herself on the bars of the cage. I called the breeder - I had never seen a bird act like this! When she told me it was bluffing, I was surprised as Blue had not once tried to bite me! She explained that since Blue has never been clipped, she has never transitioned from the natural "flight" instinct to the "fight" instinct of many companion parrots who cannot fly, and to simply tame her as if she were wild, but keep in mind bluffing ringnecks seem to all share a fear of fingers. We have been working things out, and Blue will now fly to my hand and take a treat - usually when I whistle for her!

Today is day 3 of having Scout, our new Turquoise baby with us. He is a velcro bird! Such a sweet boy. They are nowhere near as loud as my cockatiels or GCCs, they generally make their joy known in the morning along with the rest of the birds, and chatter when the light turns off at night, but it is usually only when my other birds are doing the same - I have quite the birdie orchestra.

So thanks everyone for your advice! We have 2 fully flighted beautiful IRNs now, and hope to start harness training Scout before he begins bluffing. Blue is "tame" again, but she is still not "friends" with us, an we will not begin harness training her until we have her total trust. She is however somewhat recall trained, and Scout is catching on fast!!

sharkbait

Mar 22, 2014
au
Parrots
IRN
To give you an idea, Mine once escaped, I found him the next day about 4-5 meters up a tree because his scream's woke me up. I was able to hear him from about 6-7 house's away.
Once when he was TERRIFIED of a new person he started screaming similar to a car alarm, she actually put her hands over her ears and slouched in pain (about 1.5m away). I have a small 109db window alarm and he would have been louder then that. (average human pain threshold is 110db, like i said she was hunched over slightly, so i would have said that was 112+ db) and probably the loudest I've ever heard.

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

HOWEVER! Those are the exceptions. The only time he makes noise is when hes not around me (as i work from home hes used to being around almost every waking hour) aslong as im in the room the loudest noise he will make is no louder then my phone. generally he's very quite, but when he does scream its shrill and high pitched.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I find my IRNs are the loudest volume of my flock, and aside from one pair of Green Cheeks, they call the most often. However, they are typically not loud. I was pleasantly surprised by the low noise level, but I think it helps that none of my birds live alone - it cuts down on flock calling.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Just out of sheer curiosity no other reason, who would you say is louder volume wise - a Pionus or IRN doing a full blast scream? I know different sounding voice, but the loudness?

Also do your maxis have a little louder of a voice than the BH since they're probably a tiny bit bigger? Not sure if kind of Pi makes a difference. Probably just varies between individuals. Just wondering :).

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
We have wild IRNs locally so I get to hear them as nature intended... and they are loud, certainly a match for the local rooks. The flock tends to spread out over a quarter of a mile or so and they contact call to each other so it's easy to tell where they are if they're in the area.

My cockatoo has nothing on them in the loud department, but she's a pretty quiet little thing.

Most Reactions