One bird or more??

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I have a question, is it better to have a single bird or to have more than one? I know this is one of those open ended type of questions.

But I have heard that if you have a some what difficult bird that likes to vocalize quite a bit that it helps to have another bird in the same room. That it helps to calm down the original bird to way they feel like they are not alone.

Is there any trueth to this? I'm askin. To all you multi-bird families.

My little Sennie Tiki doesn't squawk or scream constantly, but sometimes during the day, she likes to raise a little hell to the point I or my wife will have to give her a time out and cover her cage.

My main reason for asking is, if there is a chance that having a second bird will calm down my first bird then that would be my justification for getting another bird. But if not, I think my wife would put the lot of us down the road if I brought home another squawker and both birds joining in on driving her nuts hahahahahahahaha.

Mike

Last edited:

Morgan_smith03

Mar 16, 2011
Victoria, BC
Parrots
I had a love bird for 12 years and currently have Senegal named Johnny. There is also a B&G Macaw in my close family.
Hi Mike!
I just posted the same question, if you get any good input please share it with me! I have a Senegal named Johnny, he's 1 yr 2 months now and I want to get a cockatoo to socialize with him. The only thing I'm nervous of is him being jealous or becoming aggressive with another bird in the house.
Good luck with everything!
Morgan

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It doesn't make any difference!!! You probably end up with two squaking birds....lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
They can be jealous of one another though!!!!

One more thing to add, it seem better as a pair if they pair up, but if they want to scream hell they will cause they are birds after all. :)

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
They can be jealous of one another though!!!!

One more thing to add, it seem better as a pair if they pair up, but if they want to scream hell they will cause they are birds after all. :)

That's what I'm afraid of hahahahahaha.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Hi Mike!
I just posted the same question, if you get any good input please share it with me! I have a Senegal named Johnny, he's 1 yr 2 months now and I want to get a cockatoo to socialize with him. The only thing I'm nervous of is him being jealous or becoming aggressive with another bird in the house.
Good luck with everything!
Morgan

Ooooooo, good & bad thing about Senegals Morgan is they love to mimic, Cockatoo's are notorious screamers. So if your Sennie isn't a screamer now, he will be after getting a Cockatoo I'd bet.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
deaf ear mike :) nut like to have a good squark at times and i just put it down to her just being vocal! like mikey says its cos there birds lol

there have been times she's squarked an flapped around the room like no-ones business, i just leave her to it, it never lasts for long, (half an hour) and its funny to listen to her squarking then chuntering, she can't talk as such but she will chunter a bucket load, between squarks lol :30: and the way she flips her head about, she can get rather animated, but after a good squarking session, she'll perch content, grinding her beak :D

she mainly does this squarkin when i try to nap in the afternoon :mad: after a early shift at work

worse case senerio will be you end up with 2 birds that hate each other:11:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Willie is in the mating mood so he screams non-stop right now driving me insane. We're both working long hours this week so we're very tired. I go to bed late at night and up early in the morning to spend time with them. With a screaming macaw is not a nice way to wake up in the morning....lol. I can't wait until he's over it.....

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Okay, we're really lucky with our 3 birds. They all more or less get along - in a very sibling sort of way. They play together and pick at each other sometimes just the way kids do and they can be jealous of the time we spend with each of them. But for the most part they get along.

We're also lucky that they don't ever do a "group squawk". Max, the smallest, is actually the loudest and if he gets too loud one of the girls will make a "shad-up!" screech and that usually stops things....for a bit.

It truly depends on the bird. Their personalities are so individual, that you never know if your parrot will like this bird, but might like that bird - just like people. Personally, I feel that if your parrot has been around other birds at one point or another, it's a better bet, but if they've been alone since weaned, you may have a tougher time.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Tiki just turned a year old and the folks who had her before me, actually hand feed her. But she hasn't been with any other birds since being weaned. The previous owners kept her in their bedroom and basically ignored her quite a bit of the time, then once the new puppy showed up, the bird got the boot. I've had her now for better than two months. She doesn't lack attention here, with both of us retired, she is with me most of the day. So it could be I'm spoiling her more than I should. My wife keeps telling me that Tiki has me trained.

I have thought about adding a second bird like a Pionus or Amazon, but I have heard Senegals like to be the only bird in the house. I was thinking the same thing about her being raised as a single bird, just how she would do with another bird in the house. I would hate to get a second bird which could only cause further disstress onto Tiki. Right now, she is managable.

Most Reactions