One eye bigger than the other?

Spikes12

Jan 12, 2018
Hello!
My name is George. I am watching this forum for some time: great place for informations and advices.
I came writing now because i think my 6 months INR has a problem.
I just noticed couple of days ago that he has one eye bigger than the other... As i said this dates from couple of days ago - 3 days max. It is a matter of concern or it is something normal at his age?
He is my first INR but not my first bird. Haven't seen something like this in other birds i had.
I'm asking here first because i don't want to put him on the stress of a vet "inspection" if it's nothing serious.

Thanks you and sorry for my bad english!

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
"Avian Eye Disorders" did not list anything that resembles what you describe.

A larger-seeming eye than the other could be case of swelling, for which a natural treatment involving refridgerated aloe is described here.

Ultimately there is no substitute for an Avian veterinarian's expert eye (pun intended), ha. If you observe your bird has apparent trouble sighting, landing, perching, or seems to be favoring one eye over the other, don't hesitate - take the bird for a check-up.

You can use the Association of Avian Veterinarian's directory to find a local expert.

As with most posts involving possible health issues with an element of urgency, I have private-messaged you the information above.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
personally I would take them to a Certified Avian Vet over any concern to do with eyes, for a bird they're among the most important part of the body, plus with the distance to the brain if some problem were to be able to spread the brain would be in the firing line. Hopefully all goes well with you Ringie

OP
S

Spikes12

Jan 12, 2018
I ve been with him to the vet. He said it s nothing serious. He told me he probably hit around that area while flying. It s a possibility because i let him out of the cage all the day and i m not staying all the time with him.
Thanks for all the info! I guess i ll keep him more in the cage while i m gone :)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yes, never have a bird out the cage if you're not around, it's a path to disaster that can happily be reached with a few minutes

Most Reactions