snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
So I thought about buying a sad looking white ear conure that no one wants from a chain store. If I buy it I will just add to the problem? So I thought about getting a rescue or unwanted bird. I love my sprinkles so much even if he nips me. He is a great bird he is hormonal and dealing with his first molt.

I have started to make my spare bed room the bird room. I have a big window and a twisty rope thing hanging from the ceiling. With more to come. Sprinkle was out from 11am and still out. He will be out till bed time. So all day no cage but in his room. With us popping in and out from time to time. He is now in the living room with me.

So I am thinking I wish I could add another Pyrrhura of some kind to my bird room. Since sprinkles was out all day (with me popping in every now and then) he never made much noise. So quite. He is a quite bird only right after I take the cover off will he make some noise. I don't mind it but my husband minds screaming a little.

Anyways. Sprinkles is a people bird. He loves us. But I want him to have a bird friend. He has the parakeets to talk to. When they are out together I have to watch like a hawk because sprinkles will try and nip them not in a nice way. So they are not out together.

I want to give another conure a home. I just love them. Would sprinkles like it? When my friend brought her green cheek over he loved to watch her fly but did not really try to be near her or care.

Is buying a parrot from a pet store a rescue if no one seems to want it and it has issues?

I don't know maybe I should just leave it at Sprinkles is spoiled and has his own room. Or should I try and add another?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hi...

All birds are different..different personalities..Sprinkles may...or may NOT like a new addition. He might get "jealous" of a new permanent face.

Who was at your house first? Sprinkles or the 'keets?? If the 'keets were there first and then sprinkles came a long..he may feel "ok" about them...coz THEY were here first!
And if you add a new face,he may recent it...after all, he was there first!

I am lucky in that aspect..Amy LOVES everyone...wants to be best buddies with EVERYONE..she loved Jonesy..and she adores BB the cockatiel <even tho BB could care less lol>

How old is Sprinks? How long have you had him??

Jim

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Hi...

All birds are different..different personalities..Sprinkles may...or may NOT like a new addition. He might get "jealous" of a new permanent face.

Who was at your house first? Sprinkles or the 'keets?? If the 'keets were there first and then sprinkles came a long..he may feel "ok" about them...coz THEY were here first!
And if you add a new face,he may recent it...after all, he was there first!

I am lucky in that aspect..Amy LOVES everyone...wants to be best buddies with EVERYONE..she loved Jonesy..and she adores BB the cockatiel <even tho BB could care less lol>

How old is Sprinks? How long have you had him??

Jim

Sprinkles is almost 6 months old. He is starting his first molt and already going dealing with sexual maturity. We have a lot to deal with right now. He is just nippy no big deal.

I got him in the middle of June. So he is still new.

Thanks

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Still not familiar with his new home or "family"...6 months is not a long time.

Jim

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/

Jim

So is it better to wait? Or would it be better to get another bird while he is still new too?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Jim

So is it better to wait? Or would it be better to get another bird while he is still new too?

In my opinion I would say WAIT...he has only been in your household since June? That's only 2 months!...yes,definately wait!

Jim

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/

Jim

In my opinion I would say WAIT...he has only been in your household since June? That's only 2 months!...yes,definately wait!

Jim

Thanks for that. What are some of the reasons to wait? I was thinking getting birds during the same time would be good because they grow and adjust together instead of one being adjusted and the other being new. But at the same time maybe a well adjusted established bird could help the new one?

It just seems like getting 2 around the same time could be great but it could go bad too.

I have only had more than one parakeet never more than one larger bird.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Do you want Sprinkles to bond to YOU? If you got another bird,there are chances he may say "the heck with you" and want to be bonded with the other bird..then again, he might HATE the other bird..

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What is missing from your relationship with Sprinkles that makes you want another parrot? What happens if the next parrot also misses that target?

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Listen to your heart! Go and visit that bird several times. I always trust my guts when getting a bird, and wait for a little while if possible. A few times it was an emergency rescue, and I got the bird right after I got a call, without seeing even a picture of it. It ALL worked out! :) I had my green cheek conure for 2 months after I decided to get a companion for him - I went for one bird and left with three, because the lady gave me two budgie for free. LOL My gcc have been best friend with one of the budgies ever since. So you never know. It's good to wait, but also if the birds are young, it's better to introduce them earlier to each other. I'd say again - if something inside you tells you that that's YOUR bird, don't pass it. If you're in a serious doubt, let someone else have him. :) That's only my biased opinion - by no means any rule. :D

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
In a previous thread, you mentioned a sad bird at a pet shop. I'm pretty sure I know exactly what store you are referring to, as I am north of there. However, I have never visited this store before.

From talking to others that have purchased birds from this store, I can tell you for a fact that this store likes to carry rare and unique birds. Another Pyrrhura they had was a fiery shouldered conure.

I hate it when local stores decide to carry some of the more rare and uniquely kept species and try to sell them. I hate it because we don't live in a "bird area", so most people don't even know what they are buying! A store near me had a thick billed parrot at one time. I've also seen red capped cardinals (at a Petco, years ago...), canary winged parakeets and I can't think of some of the others off the top of my head...

By any chance have you heard of RAAVE? It would be quite a drive, but we do have members driving a long distance already to come and visit! Including from Truckee and Dayton! There is a conure currently up for adoption, but it's not a Pyrrhura... and you're husband would probably kill you! LOL

Birds are generally welcomed at meetings, but this month (actually, this Saturday), no birds are allowed. HOOT, the owl, will be in attendance. He's 21 years old and apparently famous! As in, he's been in over 100 movies and commercials, to include Harry Potter and Dr Doolittle. Maybe even seen him in the WGU ads locally?

Anyway, if you haven't heard of it and you'd like to visit, this is the website.

Reno's Only Exotic Bird Club

There are also local rescues that have birds for adoption. The one closest to you (well, closer to me than you) that I'm familiar with doesn't currently have any Pyrrhuras for adoption, but they do have other birds...

So that's also another possible route. Not to say you should get a bird right now... but I'm not saying you shouldn't, either. Just, you have options! Might be a bit of a drive! But... you've got some!

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
What is missing from your relationship with Sprinkles that makes you want another parrot? What happens if the next parrot also misses that target?

For me Sprinkles is perfect. He is on his way to being the best bird. BUT he is very nippy and not everyone can handle it. My daughter is scared of his nips. I know all birds can nip and bite. Zoe knows this too but Sprinkles nips more than the average bird. We are working on it. It's not a bite more of a pinch. It's annoying. He is also going threw a lot right now. Like his first molt, getting to know his family, and puberty.

My friend has an amazing Green cheek that is so gentle and rarely bites. It is her first bird ever too. I have a dream to find a gentle green cheek that is not so nippy. I know they are out there. Than that bird would be friends with Sprinkles and they would play out of the cage together. They would have their own cages. So that's my crazy dream and why I am thinking of another. I just think Sprinkles would like another conure to talk with. He has the parakeets but it's not the same.

Last edited:
OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
In a previous thread, you mentioned a sad bird at a pet shop. I'm pretty sure I know exactly what store you are referring to, as I am north of there. However, I have never visited this store before.

From talking to others that have purchased birds from this store, I can tell you for a fact that this store likes to carry rare and unique birds. Another Pyrrhura they had was a fiery shouldered conure.

I hate it when local stores decide to carry some of the more rare and uniquely kept species and try to sell them. I hate it because we don't live in a "bird area", so most people don't even know what they are buying! A store near me had a thick billed parrot at one time. I've also seen red capped cardinals (at a Petco, years ago...), canary winged parakeets and I can't think of some of the others off the top of my head...

By any chance have you heard of RAAVE? It would be quite a drive, but we do have members driving a long distance already to come and visit! Including from Truckee and Dayton! There is a conure currently up for adoption, but it's not a Pyrrhura... and you're husband would probably kill you! LOL

Birds are generally welcomed at meetings, but this month (actually, this Saturday), no birds are allowed. HOOT, the owl, will be in attendance. He's 21 years old and apparently famous! As in, he's been in over 100 movies and commercials, to include Harry Potter and Dr Doolittle. Maybe even seen him in the WGU ads locally?

Anyway, if you haven't heard of it and you'd like to visit, this is the website.

Reno's Only Exotic Bird Club

There are also local rescues that have birds for adoption. The one closest to you (well, closer to me than you) that I'm familiar with doesn't currently have any Pyrrhuras for adoption, but they do have other birds...

So that's also another possible route. Not to say you should get a bird right now... but I'm not saying you shouldn't, either. Just, you have options! Might be a bit of a drive! But... you've got some!

I have looked into RAAVE. I know that owl. Well I have heard of him, and I saw him he was at Hot August nights a few years ago.

I was looking at a rescue in the bay area they have a lot of birds to pick from. I might contact them. I am not in a rush to get another bird. It would have to be the perfect bird that would fit in well with our family.

The store in carson a few years back never had many birds at all. Cages were always empty. They might have a green cheek once in awhile. I would go there for fish. Now they have a new person doing the bird stuff this year and now the cages are always full. It is weird.

Thanks.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Guessing that would be Mickaboo? I've attended one of their events before, and am friends with some of the volunteers. Well, I've known one of their volunteers/foster home guys for a really long time now! :)

I would say it's a good rescue to adopt from and have even considered adopting birds from them myself. I'm a big cherry head fan! ;) And I'm glad I was able to "meet" the flock before they banned feeding them by hand!

Might make it tough finding the right bird, but if you can take your time in deciding, that would be fantastic! :)

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
So I have been thinking about getting a second bird a lot. I wish I could know how Sprinkles would be with a friend. Today he was out and was on the parakeet cage he never goes on their cage.

They are his room mates they live in the cage next to him. To keep him company. There are so many what ifs when thinking of getting another bird. I don't like the what ifs.

If find the perfect Green cheek or Pyrrhura I might get another bird. The bird has to be perfect. Oh my little Sprinkles is on my keyboard looking at me as I type this. haha he is too cute.

Don't mind the toilet paper thats for bird poop clean up .

Most Reactions

Latest posts