One thing Zaf is NOT shy about is letting me know he wants to hop aboard!

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boslaq3TIdY"]Zaf's way of telling me he wants to hop aboard - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
CUTENESS OVERLOAD ALERT

Oh my goodness, Plax! They seriously don't come any cuter and better looking that Zaffer. :D

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
CUTENESS OVERLOAD ALERT

Oh my goodness, Plax! They seriously don't come any cuter and better looking that Zaffer. :D
He thanks you, and so do I :D

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12
Wow, that's cool!

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Thanks Tab and Casey :). Sometimes he hangs by his beak from the side of his cage like that and the flats of his feet will actually follow me as I move around him... kind of like a tracking dish antenna :D:11:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Zaff is beautiful:) I absolutely love Hyacinths! Would you say they are easier to handle than other Macaws?

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Zaff is beautiful:) I absolutely love Hyacinths! Would you say they are easier to handle than other Macaws?
Thank you, Wendy :)

In general, I think Hys are more cuddly, more tender when beaking hands and fingers, and noticeably more gentle overall than typical members of the other Macaw species. There will certainly be exceptions, though. Without question there exist extra gentle individuals among each Macaw species. And there are even a few seemingly vicious Hys around as well. All I can say with absolute certainty is that Zaf is the sweetest Macaw I've ever known :).

HappyHummingbird

Jan 5, 2013
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I was looking at some old threads and came across this one. Tony, you are a lucky bird owner! What a beautiful bird Zaf is! magestic!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thank you, Wendy :)

In general, I think Hys are more cuddly, more tender when beaking hands and fingers, and noticeably more gentle overall than typical members of the other Macaw species. There will certainly be exceptions, though. Without question there exist extra gentle individuals among each Macaw species. And there are even a few seemingly vicious Hys around as well. All I can say with absolute certainty is that Zaf is the sweetest Macaw I've ever known :).
I've never been afraid to handle a hyacinth :) They are truly sweet birds. There's a fantastic book I read from the 1880's or 90's called "parrots of the world". The author had many birds, he stated that he never met a mean hyacinth and wondered if maybe they were too stupid to try to bite. of course, now we know much better but it goes to show how gentle they are considering those birds had horrible care :)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I loved how Zaff held out his feet for you to take him. That is so gosh darn cute I tear up. That parrot LOVES you! I can see it when he listens to your voice and sees you he just wants to be with you. He is such a happy parrot. Thank you for posting such a cute video for us to enjoy.

There is nothing like parrot love.

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
The author had many birds, he stated that he never met a mean hyacinth and wondered if maybe they were too stupid to try to bite.
Now that's an unthoughtful and rash theory if I've ever heard one! I'm tempted to say the theory itself qualifies as somewhat "stupid" ;). Hys are one of the few Macaws I'm aware of who make and use simple tools. For example, many Hys (including Zaf) will find near objects to use as grasping aids for cracking large, smooth-shelled hard nuts. That's certainly not consistent with stupidity. And Zaf is probably the best of my four at understanding and responding appropriately to my commands and phrases.

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
LOL, PLAX. Sunny does the same thing and I can never resist those waving little feet. Plus she looks so pitiful hanging by her beak. Aren't they a riot. Masterful little manipulators.

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
LOL, PLAX. Sunny does the same thing and I can never resist those waving little feet. Plus she looks so pitiful hanging by her beak. Aren't they a riot. Masterful little manipulators.
Yep! The certainly have their ways to let us know what they want us to do for them ;)

ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Meyer's Parrot (Brooklyn),
Double Yellow Headed Amazon (Ziggy),
Blue and Gold Macaw (Max)
SO freakn' cute!

I've always loved hys! When I would go to parrot jungle when I was little I would make a b-line towards Ray (the hy that they would let you hold like a baby for photos).

One day :) :blue:

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
He's cuter than cute!!! I love him and I haven't even seen him in person, lol!! My friend's B&G would lift up a foot like that for me to pick him up when I went to her house. I got to be good buddies with him. I consider it a precious privilege to be a friend to these awesome parrots. I marvel every single day at how adorable, loving and playful my own chattering lory is.

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)