Onion Smell On Hands

MariachiGoth

Jun 12, 2019
Texas
Parrots
Two peach faced lovebirds, a boy and a girl! The boy Is named Beauregard and the girl is named Bean
So I know onions and garlic are a huge no no for parrots to eat since they’re toxic. I’m a culinary student and work in a kitchen so I always come home with my hands smelling like onions though. I’m cutting onions pretty much every single day of the week since the spring semester started. The smell will linger for hours no matter how much I wash my hands though! 😔I try not to handle them until I feel confident that the smell has definitely gone away. I only let them perch on my hands if they’re covered with a sweater sleeve or something.

Earlier I thought I finally got the onion smell out for the day, and felt safe enough hand feed them some chop, but afterwards I noticed my hands STILL smelled like onions despite the fact that I washed my hands nearly 6 times in the hours before!

I have two peach faced lovebirds, if that provides any necessary context? I know this is a pretty universal rule for all birds though lol.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I don't know whether the smell of onions is bad for them, but you might try washing your hands with coffee grounds or a coffee-based soap.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
As long as your hands have been washed your birds should be fine; however, I use a stainless steel Rub A Way bar to get onion smell off my hands and it works like magic! We’ve been using the same bar for probably a decade and it’s still just as effective.

Most Reactions

Latest posts