Ooops, new here

Java

May 13, 2010
I wanted to introduce myself and Java.

I have had Java for about 3 weeks now. So far, I am having a ball with him (think is a him but not sure). He is hand tamed but does not like anybody but me in the home which is a bit of an issue with me having kids that want to hold him, but I don't trust him with the kids at all yet. he lunges at them. Me, he will sit on my all day long. He loves to be pet, he loves to share my food with me, he lvoes to poop on my shouders.

I am hoping he will eventually talk. He seems to be trying, and I can hear a few words but cannot make them out yet.

Today, he has been weird. He is doing a bit of yelling on my shoudlers, which he never does, thinking maybe this is what people talk about when they say it is hormones or mating time? I really have no idea though. He is also a bit nipper today than usual.

Anyway, here is a short video I took today of him being pet and then a picture of my little guy. I get such a kick out of him, he does everything with me, he goes to the bathroom with me, he goes with me to do laundry.

Well, this forum won't let me embed the video for some reason, so here is a link to it. I must be doing something wrong. Silly me, it seems to be embedded now. I must be crazy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UM1gdEiJWk"]YouTube - Java.avi[/ame]

And a picture of him too.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi again LoL, welcome to a wonderful forum, happy that you and Java will be part of our big happy "family". Checked out the video, he is so cute !!!!!.
Correct way to download a video, download it to YouTube, copy link, then paste it here.
How old is Java, still looks so young? Male or female??? ?? DNA sexing, is 100% accurate. Do you have previous experience with birds?
Java must be given time to settle into his new surroundings, everthing is new and strange to him right now. Java seems to be gaining your trust, by the things you have mentioned. Keep on interacting with him, talking to him all the time.
Rather let the kids, just talk and sit near him, for the time being. It's hard for the kids I know, they want to play with him etc. At a later stage, when he is more "trusting" then introduce them one by one. We can go into that at a later stage.
Let us know how he settles in.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the forums!

Yes embedding videos on the forum is a bit odd (but also very simple!) I didn't design it.

As Antoinette said just paste the url into your post and it will automatically be parsed to embed the video. The html embedding does not seem to work - or at least not reliably - on the forums.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Java is so cute. I can understand how we easily fall in love with our FIDS (feathered kids). You did a good job on the video. Looks like he has a way to go with the step up. Keep up the bonding and you will be rewarded. Don't forget to socialize him. Take him to a room he is not familiar with and expose him slowly to people he does not know. It is important to do this at a young age.

OP
J

Java

May 13, 2010
Hi again LoL, welcome to a wonderful forum, happy that you and Java will be part of our big happy "family". Checked out the video, he is so cute !!!!!.
Correct way to download a video, download it to YouTube, copy link, then paste it here.
How old is Java, still looks so young? Male or female??? ?? DNA sexing, is 100% accurate. Do you have previous experience with birds?
Java must be given time to settle into his new surroundings, everthing is new and strange to him right now. Java seems to be gaining your trust, by the things you have mentioned. Keep on interacting with him, talking to him all the time.
Rather let the kids, just talk and sit near him, for the time being. It's hard for the kids I know, they want to play with him etc. At a later stage, when he is more "trusting" then introduce them one by one. We can go into that at a later stage.
Let us know how he settles in.

He is very cute. Love him to pieces. See, what happened was, my hubby took kids to NY to go to a suprise Bday for grandpa and while they were gone, it was only wekend, I got Java. so, he knew me for 2 days in which I held him all the time, cept when I slept, so Java knew me pretty well by the time they got home. Then, 1st day or 2, they could take him out and hold him, but day by day and over the next few weeks, anytime one of them goes near him, he can be in his cage, on his cage play area, or on my shoulder, but he will run at them and try to bite.

I think he is a boy, but have no proof, so was thinking of doing the dNA, but not sure if it would make any difference. What is stoping me is that I have to make him bleed or pull some feathers out. I can't see doing that.

After I bought him, I called pet shop that i bought it at to ask his date of hatch, they could only tell me he is about 8-1/2 month. So, he is now 9 months about.

I have had cockatiels. quaker parrots before, and so I have some experience with birds. I find the senegal so much more tame, but then again i lived in Florida many moons ago when I got my quaker, and I got it from an outdoor flea market for like 70 dollars, and I am sure they didn't handle them all that much.

I also forgot to mention that I have 3 indoor cats, 3 outdoor cats, a dog (Pug), a gecko lizard, 3 pet mice and 2 ferrets, 3 human kids, and a hubby. It is a zoo here.

OP
J

Java

May 13, 2010
Welcome to the forums!

Yes embedding videos on the forum is a bit odd (but also very simple!) I didn't design it.

As Antoinette said just paste the url into your post and it will automatically be parsed to embed the video. The html embedding does not seem to work - or at least not reliably - on the forums.

Thank you, I somehow figured it out before. I don't know how I got it fixed, but it's embedded now.

OP
J

Java

May 13, 2010
Java is so cute. I can understand how we easily fall in love with our FIDS (feathered kids). You did a good job on the video. Looks like he has a way to go with the step up. Keep up the bonding and you will be rewarded. Don't forget to socialize him. Take him to a room he is not familiar with and expose him slowly to people he does not know. It is important to do this at a young age.

Actually, he steps up very well and I was surprised when I brought him home,

But, when I took that video, I was holding my digital camera on which you can talke small videos, and he was petrified of the camera, so the other hand had the camera, and he didn't want to come any closer to it. But, generally, he steps up each time from his cage onto my finger w/o biting or anything YET.

I take him everywehre I go in the house, cept to bed. So, he is exposed to the kids all the time and I do sometimes put the bird on their arms and as long as they don't try to pick him up, he stays for a little bit, but he will bite if they go to take him out of his cage or off of me.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

DustyDusky

Jan 7, 2010
Media
New York
Parrots
Dusty: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the forum!
Java is adorable! Cute Video.
I agree with Antoinette, give Java some time and slowly introduce him to the kids once he is better adjusted to the home.
Dusty, my conure, has hated my dad for years and is just now at the point where I can place him on my dads clothing and he with tolerate that and even chat to my dad, but my dad still cant hold him in his hand or get him out of the cage. As long as I am right there Dusty seems okay with being on my dads shirt or pants while my dad is sitting on the couch.

OP
J

Java

May 13, 2010
Welcome to the forum!
Java is adorable! Cute Video.
I agree with Antoinette, give Java some time and slowly introduce him to the kids once he is better adjusted to the home.
Dusty, my conure, has hated my dad for years and is just now at the point where I can place him on my dads clothing and he with tolerate that and even chat to my dad, but my dad still cant hold him in his hand or get him out of the cage. As long as I am right there Dusty seems okay with being on my dads shirt or pants while my dad is sitting on the couch.

Thanks DustyDusky. I will have to work with the kids on them showing Java that they are a good thing, sititng by cage, talking to him, etc., thing is, kids these days have very short attention spans, LOL.

I saw in your location you are from NY, what part if you don't mind my asking? I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Lake Ronkonkoma, Long Island. If that is too personal, please igkore me, I just love fingding another New Yorker. I don't live there now, unfortunately, I'm in WV now.

Marnie

May 4, 2010
Williamsport, PA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parrot;
had
a Senegal &
2 love birds
hi and welcome! i have a senegal too named Marnie. i just love her! it took her a month to trust me enough for handling but now we are best buds.
Java is a cutie, they are such hams for pets, mine will take pets from anyone, but i am the only one she will not bite lol!
i watched your video on the other forum, loved it!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
He is very cute. Love him to pieces. See, what happened was, my hubby took kids to NY to go to a suprise Bday for grandpa and while they were gone, it was only wekend, I got Java. so, he knew me for 2 days in which I held him all the time, cept when I slept, so Java knew me pretty well by the time they got home. Then, 1st day or 2, they could take him out and hold him, but day by day and over the next few weeks, anytime one of them goes near him, he can be in his cage, on his cage play area, or on my shoulder, but he will run at them and try to bite.

I think he is a boy, but have no proof, so was thinking of doing the dNA, but not sure if it would make any difference. What is stoping me is that I have to make him bleed or pull some feathers out. I can't see doing that.

After I bought him, I called pet shop that i bought it at to ask his date of hatch, they could only tell me he is about 8-1/2 month. So, he is now 9 months about.

I have had cockatiels. quaker parrots before, and so I have some experience with birds. I find the senegal so much more tame, but then again i lived in Florida many moons ago when I got my quaker, and I got it from an outdoor flea market for like 70 dollars, and I am sure they didn't handle them all that much.

I also forgot to mention that I have 3 indoor cats, 3 outdoor cats, a dog (Pug), a gecko lizard, 3 pet mice and 2 ferrets, 3 human kids, and a hubby. It is a zoo here.[/QUOTE]

That was a good move, having him all to yourself, for the first two days.
I also refuse to have Mishka, my AG DNA, not worth it, "just for our curiosity"
Like a zoo?????? how do you cope OMG :eek:

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Re: I wanted to introduce myself and Java.

He is hand tamed but does not like anybody but me in the home which is a bit of an issue with me having kids that want to hold him, but I don't trust him with the kids at all yet. he lunges at them.

Welcome to you and Java. I love the video, could he have put his head back any further for the scratches :D It's really hard with the kids sometimes. My son is having a hard time understanding the birds can take a lot of time to build up trust and you need to be so patient... not like a dog or cat. He takes the rejection very personally.

OP
J

Java

May 13, 2010
hi and welcome! i have a senegal too named Marnie. i just love her! it took her a month to trust me enough for handling but now we are best buds.
Java is a cutie, they are such hams for pets, mine will take pets from anyone, but i am the only one she will not bite lol!
i watched your video on the other forum, loved it!

Thanks for the welcome.

With mine, he was on his play area up on top of his cage, adn daughter put her face too close, but he was on other side of top of his cage, and he ran across at her, and since then, now I am so afraid he will hurt one of the kids. So, for now, they are not allowed to touch him w/o me present to hold him/his beak, so he cannot bite them.

OP
J

Java

May 13, 2010
Re: I wanted to introduce myself and Java.

He is hand tamed but does not like anybody but me in the home which is a bit of an issue with me having kids that want to hold him, but I don't trust him with the kids at all yet. he lunges at them.

Welcome to you and Java. I love the video, could he have put his head back any further for the scratches :D It's really hard with the kids sometimes. My son is having a hard time understanding the birds can take a lot of time to build up trust and you need to be so patient... not like a dog or cat. He takes the rejection very personally.

I know. First time or 2 he did that, I worried a bit if he was hurt. He loves it, can sit forever and get scritched. He will also lay on his side on my chest in my cupped hand and get scritched that way while his eyes are closed.

My daughter cried the first time he lunged at her, and I had to explain that he has no idea what he is doing, and don't take it personally. She said she never did anything to him to cause him not to like her. She was very upset. He didn't bite her but the lunging scared her.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Welcome to you and Java! As the others have said, he needs a little more time to settle in and get used to things (and people). He's at a good age to start to talk and probably is practicing some words. Sometimes, parrots can be secretive about doing that and then will suddenly surprise you by saying something to you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts