Open Door Policy?

TiaBug1120

Dec 3, 2010
CT
Parrots
Sun Conure - Lucy Goosey
Parakeet - Osiris
Ok now I am starting to wonder, should I leave the cage door open when I am home or just at certain times?

I dont mean to keep repeating myself but I have just adopted an 8 year old sun conure. At her previous home her owner left the cage open when ever she was at home so Lucy could come out whenever she pleased and head over to her play scape anytime she wanted.

I am wondering if this is making her more territorial, like is she thinking that she is the boss. I dont want her to be as aggressive as she has been in the past few days forever.

Do you think leaving the cage open all the time would add to this?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
There are times when we're home that we just can't let the birds out...like when we retiled our bathroom last week. However, they're out as often as possible with the cage doors open. I don't think this has made them more territorial at all, in fact, I think more time in the cage would lead to more cage aggression.

Her recent aggressive behavior may be due to her new surroundings. Remember, this is a big change for her and kinda scary. Be sure she has consistent rules - don't let her get away with certain behavior one day then not the next, or vice versa.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
with 2 german shepherds i cant have an open door policy...the dogs go in the laundry room when the bird is out usually from 4-8 every night

Most Reactions

Latest posts