Order if Training

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Hey guys! I had a quick question about training.
I have a lot of future goals for my parrot. I want her to be good around strangers, wear a harness, and maybe even do some tricks. Before you say I'm getting ahead of myself, understand that I know these are future goals, and that I have a lot of basics to iron out before that.
My question is what are the most important basic skills I need to work on and in what order should I teach them to her? I have searched for this info in previous posts and had trouble pinning one down.
So far I have got her to step up and occasionally give kisses, which i'm pretty sure her previous owner taught her and she only just got comfortable enough with me to do it. I also taught her to target a chop stick and can get her to follow it just about anywhere.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sounds like Youve got the basics down already. If your bird lets you readily touch/pet/handle/manipulate it, you're set, Go forth and have some training fun! If not, work on getting used to you actually touching and manipulating different parts such as the wings.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I like your style, Jag.
You're very organized, purposeful, and goal-oriented.
Totally unlike me!
I'm really glad you joined us.

OP
jagrooten5

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Thanks guys! I'm really glad I joined too!

OP
jagrooten5

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
f57bba053f4880ee1add6223387fb573.jpg

I made this table perch for Lily for $10!

Most Reactions