How much food?

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
How much food is enough for a 5 mo. old Conure? Sometimes it seems like he never stops eating. Should I keep his bowl full at all times? He goes from the food bowl to the water and back again with a stop at the millet in between. Whenever he's not playing of course.

Its also hard to tell if it is being eaten because so much is dropped.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
I have a 6 month old GCC, she eats almost non stop. About a teaspoon of pellets per day, I prepare about 4 oz a day of fresh foods, and at least 3 nutriberries a day. I think she would easy eat the whole bag if I let her. She also eats a huge helping of our breakfast lunch and dinner.

CherylCali

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! Glad you are here. LOTS of conure lovers in residence.
My advice in general ... take any issue or topic which interests you, and use the Search Tab to read, read, read about it. I do that a lot. The people here are an amazing source of information, advice, and support.
What kind of conure? The various species are special! If you are not sure, a picture will help us help you!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Your bird should be provided with non-stop access to fresh food and water at all times. They will eat and drink at their leisure and there is no 'set amount' that each conure should be eating. As long as they are eating and maintaining their proper weight that is what counts. Some conures may eat more than others. A lot of it will depend on activity level. The more active the conure, the more food and water he/she will consume.

Skittles is a little piggy. He eats about every 20-30 minutes. But he is also a VERY active conure!

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
The saying you eat like a bird is funny. Because like others have said birds eat nonstop all day and as much as they want. If I ate like a bird I would be round.

I just make sure my parrot has food and water that will last all day. Somedays he kicks out most of his food on to the ground. Other days he eats it. If he kicks it out I refill maybe with a bit less so it is not so hard to kick it all out.

I have 3 bowls one for water one for pellets and one for fresh fruit and veggies.

OP
S

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
So far the telltale is that if the bird is awake he's eating, so yes there's always food available. And don't run out of spray millet because he gets very noisy. I change the drinking and bath water twice a day ( doesn't know which is which ).

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Same here, Snowflake... one bowl for pellets, one for water, one for messy stuff!

Most Reactions