Ouch!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
hi everyone! i was at the pet store this week and received my first "real" bite. black jack almost never bites hard and is yet to draw blood, so im not used to receiving very painful bites . however, at the pet store i was offering my finger to a hahn's macaw to step up, and he got me! he has seen me and tried to bite before, but i figures no one else was offering to hold him and he needed socialization so i took the chance. his beak was pretty small compared to other birds, but the force it exerted shocked me. i know its nothing compared to those who have large macaws, but for a little guy he packed a punch. it was the hardest i had been bitten but i kept my calm and removed my finger. this also made me realize, getting bit isn't that bad. the pain goes away and it toughens you up. i have a question for the macaw owners here: whats a true, really mean macaw bite like? i ask because in the future i would like a large macaw, and want to be prepared for better and for worse :)
:green2:

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
My scarlet bit my finger once, and I had no feeling in it for 3 months... and I'm a musician... so I need feeling lol. Birds are surprisingly powerful.. glad you're OK..

The bird probably gets picked at a lot at the petshop.. I hope not.. but it often happens.

But my scarlet macaw can easily break a bone.. he almost broke that finger..:eek:

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
But my scarlet macaw can easily break a bone.. he almost broke that finger..:eek:

This was my one fear when getting a bird. I would love to have a macaw, but I know that if they want to, they can take your finger right off!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
i have a question for the macaw owners here: whats a true, really mean macaw bite like? i ask because in the future i would like a large macaw, and want to be prepared for better and for worse :)

I hope to NEVER be able to answer that question. :eek: Niko's nipped, pinched and bruised me, but I NEVER want to know what that beak of his can really do to my skin/bones.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
My scarlet was passed around before I got him, and had serious issue.. that's my kind of bird ;) he needs to be loved and I like a challenge. :)

But I've seen Monte splinter 2x4 pieces with his beak... like it was nothing... so he was probably just testing me :eek:

Jester, RIP made Monte look like small.. he was easily 6 inches longer, bigger talons...bigger beak... he was so powerful even though he was sick..he nipped me when I first got him.. opened me up like a wet napkin..he just wanted to be understood :)

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
i have a question for the macaw owners here: whats a true, really mean macaw bite like? i ask because in the future i would like a large macaw, and want to be prepared for better and for worse :)

Three days after Salsa arrived here in June, he bit the back of my hand near my wrist. It happened because I had prompted him to step up on my arm in order to move him to a stand, stupidly without considering that he didn't know me very well yet. At that point he clearly hadn't developed the trust he now has in me. He'd also been through the devastating loss of his mom, my great friend. His behavior was certainly understandable and the fact the bite was able to occur was entirely my fault.

The bite nicked a nerve going to my thumb. Until a couple of weeks ago, the side of my thumb toward my index finger was numb. I now finally have most of the feeling back in the affected area. The surface skin isn't quite as sensitive as it was, but it's not bad and it may possibly improve even more.

That was the worst Macaw bite I've ever experienced - and I've owned Macaws since 1981.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
My Neleno, GW Macaw bit my right ring finger while I was trimming his wings as a baby at approx 1 year old. He had been flying for approx 2 months or so. I figured it was time to clip. As I was restraining him, I did not have a firm grip on him and he was able to bite through my ring finger. his top beak went right through like cutting butter. It took 6 stitches to close the cut and 4-5 months to heal. After the bite, Neleno appeared to notice that he did something very wrong and I could tell in his reaction just how sorry he was. When I returned from the Hospital with finger wrapped. I picked up Neleno to let him know that I knew this was not his fault and all was forgiven.
This was the one and only time he bit me this hard but I can say first hand so to speak, it hurt really bad. Beware of the beaks. Joe

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
thanks everyone! geeze...i'm not gona lie, i'm a little nervous but i have time :) how often do you get bit hard like this? what i love about macaws is that they are huge, but can be very gentle. hyacinths are my favorite, but also with the biggest beak, but since they're so gentle that's the kind i want. has anyone ever been bitten by a hyacinth? and what are regular nips like? sorry for all the questions lol there's allot to learn!

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots

This was my one fear when getting a bird. I would love to have a macaw, but I know that if they want to, they can take your finger right off!

Ive heard the same thing about biting fingers off. but i don't think that happens too often (thank goodness!) or they probably wouldn't be such popular birds.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Pretty much it goes numb lol

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
My friends have a blue and gold, he had been completely spoiled for 8 years and when they got him they where trying to get him to learn to entertain himself. His last owner constantly held him or he would scream, she even brought him to work. After having him for several years my friend offered him a treat(something he normally was very gentle about) but instead he bit her lower arm leaving a gash that needed stitches and leaving a 4" scar in it's wake.
Luckily I didn't know him when he was like that, but I get to see the scar XD Now he's a sweetie who loves attention but can also keep himself entertained.

here's the culprit lol
i_has_wings_by_copperarabian-d1ldhi0.jpg

Last edited:

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
hyacinths are my favorite, but also with the biggest beak, but since they're so gentle that's the kind i want. has anyone ever been bitten by a hyacinth? and what are regular nips like?
Zaffer is the sweetest bird in the world! He's never bitten me. Period. I've had him since early 2005 and he's always been a total sweetheart. He beaks my fingers all the time, but he's so tender about it. He's the gentlest bird I've ever met! I think lots of Hys are gentle, but I'm sure there are some who are not quite as gentle as others - without doubt there are some who nip occasionally. All I know for sure is that Zaf is an absolute dream in terms of being a bite-less Macaw :). I completely trust him... as he does, me :).

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
I think the biggest things that should be mentioned is this...

Birds have feelings and personalities..you have to respect them and what they want. Get to know the bird, build a bond with it, get to know and understand it. Before long you will be able to read its signs, and also, it will have a need to be with you. It will want to be with you.

Both of my experiences are with birds that weren't handled, or really even cared for. They were stuck in a cage, weren't loved... so they had trust issues..I was an invader to them. Monte is now my best friend, next to star burst, our sun conure..

But my most recent experience was with a ruby or a BIG scarlet, the bird was neglected, had a severe respiratory infection, they had named the bird meanie... no I'm not kidding...I renamed him jester, because he would be really sweet, and then he'd bite the crud out of you :) he spent everyday I had him at the vet, I spent every possible moment there trying to form a bond.. the respiratory infection eventually took him(it was only a few days) and I was able to form a bond with him before it happened. He would step up, even said hello and took sunflower seeds from my fingers..

The last day, he just went down hill very fast.. the vet and I agreed that he shouldn't suffer anymore, we let him go out in a dream. I held that massive, strong, sick bird in my arms while he was dying...petting his head and letting him know everything would be alright.. he said "come here" just a moment before he passed...I held him and cried for probably a couple of hours...yeah..I barely got to know him, and a 6'7" 320 lb man was sobbing like a baby, over a bird that he barely knew..

My point in all of this is that while there are draw backs, once you form that bond, no bite, screaming.... nothing will matter. :) sorry for the book, but these birds are awesome creatures.. if you love birds, and have the opportunity, get to know one :)

Last edited:
OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
I think the biggest thing that should be mentioned is this...

Birds have feelings and personalities..you have to respect them and what they want. Get to know the bird, build a bond with it, get to know and understand it. Before long you will be able to read its signs, and also, it will have a need to be with you. It will want to be with you.

Both of my experiences are with birds that weren't handled, or really even cared for. They were stuck in a cage, weren't loved... so they had trust issues..I was an invader to them. Monte is now my best friend, next to star burst, our sun conure..

But my most recent experience was with a ruby or a BIG scarlet, the bird was neglected, had a severe respiratory infection, they had named the bird meanie... no I'm not kidding...I renamed him jester, because he would be really sweet, and then he'd bite the crud out of you :) he spent everyday I had him at the vet, I spent every possible moment there trying to form a bond.. the respiratory infection eventually took him(it was only a few days) and I was able to form a bond with him before it happened. He would step up, even said hello and took sunflower seeds from my fingers..

The last day, he just went down hill very fast.. the vet and I agreed that he shouldn't suffer anymore, we let him go out in a dream. I held that massive, strong, sick bird in my arms while he was dying...petting his head and letting him know everything would be alright.. he said "come here" just a moment before he passed...I held him and cried for probably a couple of hours...yeah..I barely got to know him, and a 6'7" 320 lb man was sobbing like a baby, over a bird that he barely knew..

My point in all of this is that while there are draw backs, once you form that bond, no bite, screaming.... nothing will matter. :) sorry for the book, but these birds are awesome creatures.. if you love birds, and have the opportunity, get to know one :)
thank you, that was amazing, you really impacted that macaws life and sent him off loved and i'm sure he knew that :). i am considering adopting when the time comes (i'm talking 10+ years in the future). as many others have said the bond is more rewarding, but there aren't too many hyacinths up for adoption...oh well i guess i'll have to get two :p! before i get one, i will be sure to visit him/her often and get to know him/her. i agree the bites and screaming are never fun, but they make things more interesting and make the bond stronger if you can get past it. i think i'm going to try and work with the hahns macaw until someone buys him. i could give him treats and talk to him and see if i can get him to step up after a while. there are 6 macaws at my school, two of which are scarlets. lets just say the owners mean well but they aren't in the best shape. i was playing with one through the cage until he tried to bite me, but i should have seen it coming. they're rescues and not well socialized. they are good underneath though. i was thinking of sneaking them nutraberries until they recognize me. any suggestions?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Darcy only nips when his feelings aren't being respected. Even then, he gives warning pinches, which gradually get harder until the offense is stopped. He bit my boyfriend once, the first time they met, because my boyfriend approached Darcy in the dark and tried to get him to step up immediately. Darcy must have felt threatened, because he drew some blood, although it wasn't bad at all; he just felt the need to get his point across. His mood is pretty stable, and he plays gentle. He's had a few grumpy moods where he wanted to bite me for no apparent reason, but I approached him slowly and distracted him, and then he was fine.

Darcy is generally very gentle. Unless you're a dog. Then if you get too close, Darcy will chase you and bite you if he can. He's nipped the dogs before we separated them, but I think he might do some significant damage to a dog if given the opportunity.

Also, macaws tend to be easier to read than some other species. If a macaw is considering biting you, you will be able to see it in their body language. At least that's been my experience.

pacoparrot

Jun 7, 2012
Media
Scranton PA
Parrots
Darwin- Male Ekkie
Charlie- Cinnamon GCC
Twiggy- Cockatiel
RIP Paco, Jack, and Echo </3
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've been dealing with large macaws for a few years now. I've fostered 2 B&G, 1 GW, and 1 Scarlet, plus handled my uncle's GW. They don't normally put too much effort into a bite, as they really don't have to in order to scare us silly. The blue and golds were very unpredictable, the scarlet was managable, and the greenwing was a one person bird that you could trust...as long as you were me.

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
thanks everyone. i think when the time comes i'll be ready. i wont be getting one for 10-20 years lol so i have time to learn. as others have mentioned, the bites are nothing compared to the love :)

josiesmom

Jun 13, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Josie - blue and gold macaw
Our Josie hasn't seriously bitten anyone...thank goodness. My bf was seriously against me adopting her because when he was a cop, his first animal call was a macaw who was flipping out. When he arrived at the house, the owner was covered in blood. He tried to get the bird by using a broom (he was never around birds before this incident and had no idea what he was doing) and the bird snapped the broom handle. As it turns out, the owner of the macaw recieved 10 stitches and did not get the macaw back because the reason it went off the deep end was because he kicked it across the room. Serves him right!

Now that Josie has been with us for almost 6 months, he won't even consider not having her. We are like new parents with a baby...we play with her all the time and she will go to just about anyone.

:blue:

Most Reactions