Our finches

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Here's a couple shots of our finches.

Here's Mr and Mrs Lavender snuggled up for the night.

Here's the male fire finch

Couldn't get a good pic of the owls or cordon bleus.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
They are gorgeous! I have never seen a prettier fire finch. Are they all in the same flight?

OP
thekarens

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
The lavenders, owls, cordon blues and fire finches are in a flight cage together. We have a pair of gold breasted in a cage by themselves.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I had looked at a pair of Lavenders awhile back, but just couldn't afford them at the time:(
They are so lovely. I was going to add them to my flight with the cordons, owls and gouldians. Now I am seriously wanting to get them after seeing your pictures:)

OP
thekarens

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
They were the most expensive (as you know.) Except for the owls we bought all of them at once at a bird show. I'm pretty sure my partner's credit card was smoking.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I can imagine! The Lavenders I was looking at are $150 a pair, same as I paid for the Gouldians. Are the prices similar there?
We got the owls (a mother & 2 babies)from Kijiji so they were quite reasonable. The mother had plucked her chest completely, and when I cleaned their cage I realized why...her mate had died and been left to rot in the nest, so the poor little thing had been sleeping by his body for weeks:(

OP
thekarens

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Awwww so sad! I'm glad you were able to save them.

I "think" she paid $140 for them. Edit, she did. She found the receipt.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Awwww so sad! I'm glad you were able to save them.

I "think" she paid $140 for them. Edit, she did. She found the receipt.

So pretty close in price, then. I can't believe she found the receipt that quickly! Must be very organized:)

I am so happy with the little Owls...she has grown most of her feathers back, but the line that goes across her chest is no longer a straight line (if that makes sense). It wanders off center in a few places. She looks adorable, though.

OP
thekarens

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
She had taken a pic of them in their cages with the price tags on them and saved it in Dropbox.

That makes perfect sense about your owl. The owls are my favorite. I love the sounds they make. Ours were on eggs, but they abandoned the nest after the first one hatched. We don't care about breeding though. If they do great, if they don't that's fine too.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That Fire Finch is beautiful!!!!! If I start a finch colony I think my partner would kill me.....I just give away a pair of Zebra Finches this past summer cause they don't get along with my canaries and my other birds also disliked them for some odd reason. But I LOVE Cordon Blues and Lady Gouldians!!!! Perhaps after I get the aviary built I could convince my partner to let me use the existing flight cages for finches??? :D

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
now I'm totally jealous!!....those lavenders are so gorgeous.
there is a pair in the *ahem* lousy pet store I use to go to.....it's the only pair I've seen anywhere other than bird shows.
in Ontario they run well over $200.00

I hear they are very difficult to breed? your fire finch is amazing!....does he have a mate?

I have blue's as well, gosh they are sooooo tiny.....my female laid an egg on the bottom of the aviary just the other morning, it's incredibly tiny! I'm waiting for one of my cockatiel hens to lay an egg and I'm going to get a picture to compare the sizes.
fantastic photos's!

OP
thekarens

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
All of our finches are in pairs. None of them have successfully bred as if yet. The breeder we got the lavenders from said they were hard to breed, which is fine with us. We wanted them for he enjoyment of watching them. The male has built a ****'s nest above the nest they are in.

The fire finch is tiny, but our goldbreasted are even smaller.

Apparently c o c k is a bad word here lol.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
ha ha....I use to have goldbreasted ones....I rescued them from that stupid store.
I think they are smaller than blues.

I know what you mean, I've always wanted cordon blues.....I saw them mating in Pet Smart no less....so I bought them. I've always wanted a pair, I love them just for the pure enjoyment of watching them....but if they have a successful clutch, that would be a bonus.

Most Reactions

Latest posts