Our mechanical BTM

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
The other day I came home from work to hear flap flap flapping. Zoe is flying around the living room and has terrorized the linnies by dismantling their cage. I look to her cage to see how she got out and she had removed what she considered to be an unnecessary door.

Today I came home and found this on the bottom of her cage

Mind you, it was just like that, with the wing nut and spacers still in place. I told her it wasn't very smart to take down her own sleeping perch, but she seemed to think it was a good idea.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Wow! :eek:! BTM's are super crazy mechanical and smart! You're definitely going to have fun with her, hahaha :D

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
When I get my granddaughter a new bike, do you think Zoe would put it together for me:09:?? She's obviously more mechanically inclined than I am:30:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh that Zoe is such a clever bird...and a riot, too! I'm cracking up laughing here, Karen!!

Should I send her my tool belt? :54: Oh wait, never mind, she's carrying all necessary tools with her at all times: The Beak (and feet). :11:

OP
thekarens

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Oh that Zoe is such a clever bird...and a riot, too! I'm cracking up laughing here, Karen!!

Should I send her my tool belt? :54: Oh wait, never mind, she's carrying all necessary tools with her at all times: The Beak (and feet). :11:

You should have seen her while we were trying to put the perch back up. I had to hold it while my partner was screwing it on and she was trying to use extra spacers and get it tighter and Zoe, of course, was trying to "help" by undoing things while we were trying to get it in place and pinching us and standing on her perch while we were getting it angled correctly. Finally we gave up and had to put her in the travel carrier while we put it back in.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
The other day I came home from work to hear flap flap flapping. Zoe is flying around the living room and has terrorized the linnies by dismantling their cage. I look to her cage to see how she got out and she had removed what she considered to be an unnecessary door.

Today I came home and found this on the bottom of her cage

Mind you, it was just like that, with the wing nut and spacers still in place. I told her it wasn't very smart to take down her own sleeping perch, but she seemed to think it was a good idea.

The problem is that the large fender washers slipped through the cage bars...you can correct that problem by getting another fender washer that is at least a half inch larger in diameter than what you've got there, then measure outside-to-outside of two cage bars, then find a suitably large vise, take your new larger washer, clamp it in the vise & hammer over the washer so that you have a right angle edge of about 3/16" then mark the washer, using the measurement you took of the cage bars & bend the other side of your new fender washer......your end result should fit over two cage bars & when reassembled, Zoe should not be able to wiggle or bounce her perch through the bars again.....

Good luck.....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, my RFM dismantles everything too... and took the door to the cage off once. My GWM is also a wing nut loving bird.

The "fix" for this is to get the same diameter aircraft quality lock nuts, and screw them on with a socket wrench. THAT will fix her little wagon!

Of course, then she'll just dismantle something else...

It's what they do!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
LOL!!!! I'm sorry hilarious. Got to love out thinking the crazy things pets do and birds don't get the credit they deserve. Now to see what she discovers next.

Most Reactions