Outside time for your birds?

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
I have read that birds need direct sunlight because it helps them absorb vitamin D...was it? I think...anyway, sunlight is good for them.

So every chance I get (especially sunny days) I take my birds outside, when the sun is shining, I give them the opportunity for sun for an hour or so, more or less depending on how hot it is, and then I hang their outdoor cages on my porch and usually leave them out most of the day in the shade.

They LOVE this! And so do I, every break I take from cooking or cleaning, I sit on the porch and talk to them, read, draw or partake in which ever relaxing hobby I have going at the moment.

We acquired all our birds this year, from February to August so this will be our first fall/winter with them...summer is nearly over for us and soon it's going to be getting pretty chilly. My question is...how cold is too cold to bring my birds outside? 40 degrees F? 50 degrees F?

Our porch is covered and when they are on the porch they are very protected from the elements..sun, rain, strong wind. I am a school bus driver and every day I have time outside on my porch. However, I can put a coat on, or sit with a blanket, but my birds only have their feathers ;)

We have 4 tiels and a conure so I was wondering what they can handle.

Thanks!

Toni

Abbiebaby

Sep 5, 2011
TX
Parrots
Cluck - Timneh African Grey.

Just Deceased - Abbie - Green Cheek Conure
Hi. I have a large outdoor cage for my bird and she loves it there too. I generally believe that being a species from a warmer climate, I shouldn't let her out when the temp reaches above 95 or when it dips below 70. This however, is not based on research, just my instinct.

Hope it helps.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
For your winter months when it is cold out, you should purchase an aviary lamp. You can purchase them from a number of pet shops. Here are a few links for you.

Bird Lighting: Zoo Med AvianSun Deluxe Floor Lamp at Drs. Foster & Smith

Featherbrite Full Spectrum Universal Light / moon - FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING by Bird Paradise

These have special bulbs that you'll have to buy in addition to those lamps with UVA/UVB rays that the birds need (for the Vitamin D). Since winter doesn't provide a lot of sunny days, I would suggest looking into a lamp so you can supply them with a safe alternative.

MominNC

Sep 2, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet (parrot)
I have to wonder if these lighting options are essentially the same as plant grow lights? I didn't know birds needed sunlight. I do open the mini blinds daily. I was taking Holly outside on my shoulder wandering around the yard to look at the plants but husband wasn't comfortable that I hadn't bought a harness for her yet. Holly had no trouble staying right on my shoulder despite making laps the house and spending at least an hour. Her wings are clipped, they came that way so I felt confident she couldn't go far even if she lept off. Just alike in the house when she makes her jumps off, lands in floor then looks up at me like help it's scary down here. Come get me? I stopped the outside excursions with her after the harness conversation.

Last edited:

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
When we 1st got Merlin, I looked for the same info. The closest to an answer I found was that if we were comfortable in a sweatshirt, that was the lowest comfortable temp for a parrot. I was never able to come up w/a temp in degrees.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Several issues here,Sunlight,they need at least 20 minutes a week.Inside birds spend time out on the porch in a cage or perch,outside birds are shaded but can get late PM sun if they want it,most tend to avoid it.Most birds can adjust to cooler temps if given time to adjust and shelter from the harshest of conditions(Quakers in NYC).I know of several people who keep Cockatiels and Amazons outside all year in climates that are much colder than you would think possible,young chicks are their only real concern.I've carried my pet amazons out to the warm truck or work shop in very cold weather ,but this is only for short few minutes.Excessive heat is a more worry some concern in the summer and often have to provide shade or a shower if they start to over heat.Careful observation of your birds actions will help you determine if it is too hot or cold and feeling the temp of the feet will help also. Sun Lamps,you can buy full spectrum bulbs that are very similar to tanning lamps but they are costly,don't last long,have to be with in 18 inches,and because of cataracts being an issue with long lived birds such as Amazons i Don't use them.There have been many threads regarding Full Spectrum lights and you can research them but direct sunlight is the best.Sunlight "filtered" through a window is not direct sunlight ,IMO there is no substitute,even a bird that is shaded will receive some reflected light rays just not a large a dose as direct sunlight.

Last edited:

MominNC

Sep 2, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet (parrot)
Thank you! I just placed the order to Fosters & Smith for the lamp and bulb. Holly will get the light she needs. I really appreciate this thread. I'm brand new to parrots it's been an education. I've discovered Holly's sweet mild and cuddly nature has a flip side. She has her moods of don't touch me right now! I give her a few minutes and try again with different results. She can be tempermental I've learned after a few solid pinches.

Most Reactions