Ovens and Birds

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Current shopping list:

1. Large quantities of baking soda
2. A dozen or so lemons
3. A new steam cleaner
4. Another couple gallons of white vinegar
5. Two or three parrots trained to act as MerryMaids

Gshepdog

Aug 22, 2012
Massachusetts
Parrots
Dusty 35 y/o Orange Wing Amazon and Perrott 18 y/o Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Debs flock, thanks for the info. The stove is old enough that the self cleaning feature has been used several times. The whole house fan is extremely efficient at taking air out of the house and with the windows open, a lot of fresh air coming in.

At night, in the summer, we will open the windows and turn on the fan to bring in the cool night air after a hot summer day. It will cool the house down in a matter of minutes. Many people have never had a whole house fan. They are wonderful.

OP
B

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
At night, in the summer, we will open the windows and turn on the fan to bring in the cool night air after a hot summer day. It will cool the house down in a matter of minutes. Many people have never had a whole house fan. They are wonderful.

Pardon for derailing the thread, but what is a whole house fan?

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
. . . and I was going to say how much I envy that whole house fan . . . but I can't even open 2/3 of the WINDOWS in my semi-modern house, so it would have less effect here.

[Sorry - apparently I have digressed again, helping hijack yet another thread.]

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i agree with everyone. it will kill them. but they gave you some great ideas. i think if you put your birds cage outside for the day. and did it early in the morning. it should be done cleaning within a few hours. then leave all the windows open for the rest of the day. then by night you should be able to bring your bird back in. then after that i would still keep all the windows pen and the bird as far away as possible(the farthest room) and close the door. just to be safe:)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
If your birds are harness trained have someone stay home and run the self cleaning oven with all windows open while you take your fids out and about, just make sure the house is completely aired out before bringing them back.

BrooksiesDad

Nov 26, 2020
VA
Parrots
None right now
I know it is very hazardous to a bird's health to use oven cleaner. However our oven really does need to be cleaned. Is it safe for our parrots to run the oven on self-clean cycle? Or if not, are there any bird safe alternatives to cleaning the oven with? I'm about ready to take brillo pad to the oven, but I don't know if that's good for oven or not.
Okay, get the big stuff out and do a cursory soapy water scrub with a scouring brush and then get that all out of thereā€¦.Then get your drill and attach a nylon brush and hit the rough spots with that. It will make short work of the baked on stuff while not removing the coating like a wire brush wouldā€¦.
image-jpg.55815

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
LOL. When I wrote that I didn't realize how it would come out. No, my birds do not clean lol. It would be nice sometimes if they' stop throwing food around and clean it. j/k :)

Thank you all for your replies. I didn't realize even self-clean is not safe. I'll try the baking soda tip and the lemons and see if it works. If not, I might just have to take them outside early in the morning (before it gets too hot here) and run the oven cycle.
Once you manage to get your oven at least somewhat clean, line the bottom with aluminum foil to prevent it from ever getting that dirty again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts