Overly excited?

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Actually that last respond I sent to her was very nice. And it'd be nice if you could not bold your text so much. It makes it look like your screaming your head off at me.........

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Actually that last respond I sent to her was very nice. And it'd be nice if you could not bold your text so much. It makes it look like your screaming your head off at me.........

Yipe the last one was very nice, and please keep it that way in future.

You had already received pm,s about the way you "approach" members.

I had not choice, to bold the text, to grab you attention.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
After buddy spent a week in hospital some years ago, fighting death, she became quite scared of hands. She NEVER EVER bit, but she put up a big fuss and did laps of the back of the cage. Maybe this was because of the way myself or the vet handled her while she was sick (we had to do everything for her, she had severe paralysis), but I don't know. I am not going to speculate too much about what caused it, but something did and I had to fix it. I found she was only fearful of my hand while she was in the cage. Anywhere else, including the top of the cage, she couldn't care less if I went to pick her up....sound familiar? So, I figured, if I can get her to comfortably come out of the cage, then I can pick here up and no one has to get grumpy;), it wasn't rocket science. My solution...Target Training. I started training the behaviour in her cage (she had done targeting before but it had been a long time). Everytime she nib'd the stick I gave her a reward. Over time, I got her to move closer and closer to the cage door and was able to guide her to the top of the cage and she would step up without a fuss. I did this every time I went to get here out, until one day, I went to her cage, opened it, turned around to pick up my target stick and when I turn back......guess who is coming out of the cage all by herself? ;)

Thanks for the help Ben. Yeah i'v tried Target training, it didn't really work but then again I didn't real REALLY try. I'll give it a try though!

Yea you really need to keep it consistent or any progress will fade fast.;) Some birds take a while to catch on, others will figure it out instantly.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I also see that the current cage is covered almost on 3 sides, why? This can also cause him to feel even more claustrophobic. Remember he is born to be free, his territory does not have an end.

Actually I do this to Linky, although not quite as much of the cage is covered. In the morning when I wake up Buddy, I role her cage cover back so the back 1/4 or 1/3 is still covered. Buddy does not like being exposed 100% as she gets stressed, so I cover the back section and part of the sides to give her some security. It is actually quite important to provide your bird with a place that he can move to to feel more secure. You are correct in saying that they are born to be free, but also remember that we have taken that freedom from them and stuck them in cages, therefore, their 'territory' does have an end. This means they cannot fly from danger if they are frightened by something, so we must substitute their ability to fly away, with a place to feel secure. A cage cover is not always needed, placing the cage in a corner often works well too (many books suggest this) ;). You don't want to over-do the covering, but I can't think of a worse situation than a bird that is frightened (maybe by a cat/dog) and has nowhere to hide, because he feels vulnerable from all sides. Each bird is an individual and some may not feel as 'vulnerable' as others, you have to take it case by case. :)

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

Actually Peeps is starting to go just right into his little tent. I think he feels secure there so i'm taking the cover off. Also the back cage is against the wall so i think that's all good.

I'll keep doing the target training, I don't really have the money to buy another cage seeing as I spent about 700$ getting Kiwi. Hopefully i'll get a job soon and pay it all off in a month or so.

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

By the way, I've had Peeps since Autumn 2007 and he was born in May 2007.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I also see that the current cage is covered almost on 3 sides, why? This can also cause him to feel even more claustrophobic. Remember he is born to be free, his territory does not have an end.

Actually I do this to Linky, although not quite as much of the cage is covered. In the morning when I wake up Buddy, I role her cage cover back so the back 1/4 or 1/3 is still covered. Buddy does not like being exposed 100% as she gets stressed, so I cover the back section and part of the sides to give her some security. It is actually quite important to provide your bird with a place that he can move to to feel more secure. You are correct in saying that they are born to be free, but also remember that we have taken that freedom from them and stuck them in cages, therefore, their 'territory' does have an end. This means they cannot fly from danger if they are frightened by something, so we must substitute their ability to fly away, with a place to feel secure. A cage cover is not always needed, placing the cage in a corner often works well too (many books suggest this) ;). You don't want to over-do the covering, but I can't think of a worse situation than a bird that is frightened (maybe by a cat/dog) and has nowhere to hide, because he feels vulnerable from all sides. Each bird is an individual and some may not feel as 'vulnerable' as others, you have to take it case by case. :)

I have to agree to disagree with you on this one Ben. Covering a small cage like that and only leaving the front open is not good. Not only does the bird feel trapped but it also blocks out natural light. Dark cages cause behavioral problems and small cages cause even bigger behavioral problems. Covering a big cage is a completely different story but that was not what was discussed here. If you want to give the bird a hide then put a happy hut or something similar inside the cage. ;)

Mrspy I see your sense of humor saying that I will buy the cage, I should have said, If I was you, but hey, I thought you would understand what I meant. :D I sincerely hope that you will afford a bigger cage soon, Peeps will be very grateful and I am sure you will see changes in his behavior within a couple of days.

Good luck to both of you. ;)

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
[
I have to agree to disagree with you on this one Ben. Covering a small cage like that and only leaving the front open is not good. Not only does the bird feel trapped but it also blocks out natural light. Dark cages cause behavioral problems and small cages cause even bigger behavioral problems. Covering a big cage is a completely different story but that was not what was discussed here. If you want to give the bird a hide then put a happy hut or something similar inside the cage. ;)

HAHA I would love to give buddy a happy hut or some place to hide, but she is scared of anything bigger than a corn kernel LOL.

Anyway, I wasn't referring to making the cage dark, just not 'exposed' on all sides. Buddy's cage is well lit and the open sides face a window. I wouldn't want the cage to be dark, that would definitely create behavioral problems like you say. So in Mr Spy's case, if the cover is reducing the light too much (which it looks like it is), then it may need to be removed, or some better lighting needs to be provided :D

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Buddy's cage is well lit and the open sides face a window.
Buddy's cage is big mos jong!
ugly004.gif
:D

Talking about a hut, I've build Sterretjie a tent last night, complete with a door and all. She LOVES it, I'll take some photos tonight.:D (Sterretjie is one of those birds who love being inside anything and everything)

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

Buddy's cage is well lit and the open sides face a window.
Buddy's cage is big mos jong!
ugly004.gif
:D

Talking about a hut, I've build Sterretjie a tent last night, complete with a door and all. She LOVES it, I'll take some photos tonight.:D (Sterretjie is one of those birds who love being inside anything and everything)

Hey i'd love to see that. I myself made Peeps a tent(i didn't really want to spend 12$ just on a cloth that i could make myself)but he prefers his little blue one you saw.

I decided a couple days ago to take the cage cover off and i've noticed that Peeps isn't as scared now!

Great news to he's also comming down to his lowest wooden dowel perch(a sign that he wants me to open the door and let him out.)

Also something i've decided to start doing: Every time he goes to that dowel and STEPS UP(not hop into my hand like i normally do)onto my finger I will praise him and give him a bite of his favorite treat. Peeps is very intelligent and will usually pick up on those things easily.

I tried the target training and it worked fine(Before target training had been Peeps favorite trick so he was excited to get back into it) I also will be getting back into training Peeps again. See If I can't teach him "fetch" or something like that.

You know I think that covering him was good and bad. Good that it gave him a sense of protection. Bad because it gave him to much and he wanted to stay there all day.

Yes I can't wait to by him a cage(i'll definetaly do it before December since the cage is 30$ off right now ;) ) But since hunting season is in(I love to hunt white tailed deer)I will have to use the money to buy Ammunition and my liscence so i'll be a couple dollars short. Don't forget I spent a lot of money on Kiwi(it was SO worth it though!!)

Anything else I should do? I've been opening Peeps cage and talking to him really nice and slow. He'll puff up and start getting really excited. Unfortunetaly I tried the "Power-Pause" with him while he was in the cage and that didn't work out so well. I think he just dosn't want people invading his privacy. But i'm gonna try and break him of that.

Oh btw from the day you guys told me we should stop the rubbing there has be absolutely none of it. :D I have told my brothers that if they want to hold Peeps they will NOT do rubbing EVER and that they won't use it to get Peeps out of his cage. Instead I will start telling them to do what i'm doing(have Peeps come down to the lower dowel and step up onto your finger) I also have not done any rubbing and took that stupid sheet out of my room and hid it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts