oxy wont eat vegies

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
hi every one, my 13 week old alex "Oxy" is weaning, he is doing really well and down to only one mix feed at night.
my question to you all is how do you get them to eat vegies?
he loves his fruit, apple, pear, grapes, watermelon, mango.
he will eat mung beans and sprouts aswell as a bit of seed.
also he loves corn and will occasionaly eat a bit of chilli, but wont eat aby other vegies.
ive tried carrot, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, peas, green beans.
ithought that maybe he prefered fruit over veg cause it's softer so this morning i steamed some pf the above so they were soft nut still he just threw it all out of his bowl and cried for food:(
any advice on tricks to get them to eat veg would be appreciated as im worried he not getting enough nitrients.

thank you all in advance

Last edited:

BradGC

Jul 31, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
Try some silverbeet, it might be a bit softer. Also herbs like parsley, basil and mint, our bird loves all of these. If he's still young and he's eating pellets, sprouts and fruit, I wouldnt worry too much about veg, it might come with time that he likes it. I think I remember after weaning, our bird only liked the sweeter things like fruits and berries

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Get down into the bowl of veggies with him and make it fun. Make a mess, make it sloppy and make a lot of "yum, yum" type sounds. If Oxy sees you're enjoying it eventually he will join in. It may not happen the first or second time but it will happen with persistence! Lead by example!

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
well tonight my dinner is going to be full of vege's, so my fingers are crossed that my other fid Scan (2yr old ginger cat) will still be outside and i can close up the house so oxy can sut with me and eat my diiner with me.
thanks for your advice and if other users could list what their birds enjoy eating, maybe it will give me ideas of other fruit and veg i could try with oxy.

BradGC

Jul 31, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
Mine loves blueberries, cooked and raw pasta, cous cous, zucchini spinach, and silverbeet. He pretty much eats everything, but I think it came with time, things like carrots, he only used to chew it up and throw it around, but now he loves it

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Eat lots of veggies in front of him! If he sees you're enjoying them, he's more likely to try them himself.

Also, you could try making him a smoothie with fruits and veggies, and see if he likes that.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Mix it in with his fruit... My alex, Max, only wanted apple, when he was this young... Now he eats everything... I use a Boener slicer on the fine dice, and just cut up a selection of fruit and vegies... Peas and beans I cut by hand... All my birds love this mixture..

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
i have tried to mix it with his fruit but he just picked it all out and threw out. i keep trying everyday, oneday he will eat them.
thank you every for your advice :)

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Eat it then when your fid sees you eating it make slurping sounds and act like your protecting it from him since it's so good

Ian

Sep 10, 2012
Mine eat pretty much the same as yours and don't really like any veg unless its been humanised and has something like cheese sauce on it. I wouldn't worry too much, the rest of your diet sounds great.

I recently bought some 'gingerbreadman' biscuits designed for human babies...no salt, no sugar, sweetened with grape juice, no art ingreds etc.....they are going down a treat and cost about 80p $1.5 a box! An equivalent 'parrot' treat would be hard to find and expensive.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Try some of the sweeter vegs like raw sugar snap peas ,all my guys love them cooked or raw beets and beet greens, raw kale, dandilion greens, arugala, chili peppers, sweet pepers reds, yellow, orange green, cooked sweet potatoes, whole grains cooked ,pasta cooked, eggs cooked, canned plain pumpkin, plain cooked butternut squash ,bits of cooked meat, bits of hard cheese etc. you can also sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on the veg and see if he likes it. also go in the recipie forum there are all kinds of ideas and some very good links. Mine also love raw broccali florets:D

Most Reactions