Ozzy update

Jimdc

Apr 7, 2016
Glasgow. Scotland
Parrots
Getting baby B F A in 2 weeks
Snowy Boy - Budgie
Hi everyone I thought I would let you know how Ozzy is coming on.he is still frightened of hands ie will not step up unless he has had a fright and is on the floor. I sit his cage next to me on the sofa every night he will now come on the arm of the sofa for head rubs lol he wants all night long. I'm using treats to get him to come closer lol.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Sounds like you and Ozzy are making great progress! Congratulations, head scritches are the best:)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You both are making great progress! It can be slow with Greys, ever observant and cautious.

LOL that Ozzy lets you pick him up from the floor. Funny how they "allow" contact when being rescued, but it is hands-off other times. Except for the head scritches!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
You both are making great progress! It can be slow with Greys, ever observant and cautious.

LOL that Ozzy lets you pick him up from the floor. Funny how they "allow" contact when being rescued, but it is hands-off other times. Except for the head scritches!

Smokes was the same way! She never liked hands and would avoid at all costs! UNLESS she was on the floor and didn't have any other place to go...then she would reluctantly lift one foot up,and tell me what a "good girl" or "good bird" she was...but as soon as she saw her house,off she'd go! She never liked head skritches either,but would ride on my shoulder all day,gurgling in my ear,or yoinking on my hair,or banging her beaky on my forehead ;)

Jim

OP
J

Jimdc

Apr 7, 2016
Glasgow. Scotland
Parrots
Snowy Boy - Budgie

I know lol can't wait till he will step up for me then we will ma be able to give him a shower.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
What I'm learning from reading so many posts about CAGs and the lack of interest in step up and being handled is that bonding at a VERY early age is extremely helpful in building the trust and a very comfortable and friendly relationship with the owner. And that I am VERY lucky that I got my CAG (now 21 weeks) from her earliest stages and was able to visit her often before taking her home. Perjo has been stepping up and letting me handle her since she was 10-11 weeks old. I'm never lucky in life in general so I am so grateful that this has worked out for me so quickly and easily.

I'm also getting the sense that CAGs, once entrenched in a relationship with one owner or a way of life, take a long time to adapt to such a major change.

Stay the course, b/c it is so cool once the bird gets super comfortable with you.

Perjo is on my shoulder as I type this, doing her morning "soft" whistling routine.

OP
J

Jimdc

Apr 7, 2016
Glasgow. Scotland
Parrots
Snowy Boy - Budgie
Thank you so much for the incouagement !I know it would be harder with an older Bird lol the add for Ozxy said he was 8 years old then when I went to see him they said he was 10 years lol however his leg band says he is 14. He has a bad leg and was on a terrible diet.I had to throw away his cage as couldn't get it cleans. He is coming on great now in a nice new cage lots of toys and eating veg, fruit and Harrison's pellets.

Most Reactions

Latest posts