Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
blood test results

I got the test results back today instead of Monday. Everything was in normal range, slightly elevated white cell count. the antibiotics should help with that.

I will be getting sweat potato's and will try cooking the carrots(and the potato's of course). Plumas has always loved them raw. we buy the baby carrots not the big full size ones.
thanks for all your support and suggestions. :)
She still plucked some today but not as much as before.
texsize

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Let us know n how it goes. Are doing the liquid Baytril? Any issues with that?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Don't forget the probotics after the antibiotics.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
I don't know much about breeding amazons. But I do know about plucking parrots in general. Has anything changed in her environment? When I adopted a senegal, my green cheek plucked. She stopped thank goodness. But maybe has anything changed? It could also be from an illness. A vet check up is not a bad idea.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Only recent change is I have added 2 perches. I added a manzanita branch and a plain wooden one.
my two birds get along well together but sometimes they SQUAWK when one is trying to move past the other. I wanted to give them more options.
I have been giving the antibiotics every day since Friday (almost a week now) and Pacho is still plucking, not as many feathers but still doing it.
Feeding them a mostly pellet with a small handful of seeds mixed in (+ fruit).
Trying to keep a close eye on her and stopping her as soon as we se her doing it.
texsize

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Good news that the blood tests show normal ranges. Plucking is so complex and has so many reasons. Good luck with Pacho. Please give us updates.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Pacho's weigh-in

I weighed Pacho this am. She is down to 550 grams.
From what information I can find on the internet this is very near or a little above the high end of normal for a red lored amazon. When weighed at the Vet her weight was around 640 grams.
getting near the end of her antibiotics. I don't know how successful I have been in giving her the medicine. The little stinker has learned how to "hold" the medicine in her beak until I have given it all to her then she shakes her head and most of it goes flying.;)
She is doing better (knock on wood), I have not found any more small piles of feathers.
I noticed that when I would let her out of the cage she was tearing apart boxes that were not meant for her so I put a new cardboard box in the cage for her to shred.
I am keeping my fingers crossed at this point, thanks for all your support.
texsize:41:

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Ok, just a double check to assure that I am reading this correctly: You have a YNA, a OWA and a RLA, correct? If so, and yes I understand that cross-breeding is possible, but its not advisable.

Friendships can and do develop, and as with any friendship, some do not last forever. It is very possible that one or both have figured out that the other is just not that turned-on by their cage mate.

Have they ever been allowed to cage near each other, but separately?

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The orange wing and the red lored are in the same cage, have been for years. Started out in separate cages next to each other and they would preen each other between the bars. I " put them together" before I figured out that Pacho was female.
I did not put them together for breeding purposes, just that they got along.
the yellow nape amazon is in a separate cage but close by. My YNA "Bingo" thinks of himself more as a person than a parrot (if you know what I mean) and it would be a BIG mistake to let them interact.
I could separate the OWA and the RLA but I think that might stimulate Pacho to pluck even more. The reason I say this is most of the preening that goes on is Pacho preening Plumas (OWA) and very rarely the other direction. If she could not preen her normal companion she might start doing it to herself even more.
This is my thinking anyway.
I hope this answers your question.
texsize

Most Reactions

Latest posts