Paco wins a daytime Emmy

KateMyshkin

Oct 19, 2017
Florida
Parrots
Paco. A hybrid conure.
I LOVE this little guy. It’s been an adjustment learning how to live with a bird but I have enjoyed so much of it. Right now I’m taking a study break to write this while Paco hangs out on his rolling training stand and throws plastic cat toy balls with bells in them out of the food dish. I collect them when he’s done so he can do it again. It’s been two months + and I’m finally unafraid do him biting me enough to start enforcing some rules. *another plastic ball drops to the floor* I have loosely tried to keep him off my shoulder throughout the last two months but the urge to be close and awwwwwww cuteness and feathers on my neck stopped me. But the honeymoon is over now. When I got him I couldn’t give him any treats without him biting my offering hand. Now I can give him small pieces as small as a single pellet... I say gently and I raise my voice a little and stress the word gently. I can tell when he is pissed and leave him alone. He’s a little joy. He likes to go to bed at 8 pm but three nights a week I don’t come home until after 10pm. If I’m not home my boyfriend will let him out and watch him. He sleeps in a separate sleeping cage because the big aviary type cage I got him is 6 feet tall and I cannot cover it. Paco likes to sleep in the open. He won’t snuggle hut or go neara blanket although he has began to investigate going under the covers with me when we hang out in my bed and he peeks under my shirt but comes right back out. I like to cover him so I put him in the medium sized cage on the coffee table next to his table top coffe Java wood tree branch thingy. Well, earlier this week my boyfriend put him on the table topper around 9:30p when he came home and when I came home I found Paco in his sleeping cage asleep. Lol. Put himself to bed. So precious. I’m still fearful to cut his claws. I’m afraid of losing his trust more than of doing it wrong. I clipped both my kids as babies and I had a cat for 15 years that I clipped. I’m confident that I can clip them I’m just afraid that he will freak out from being held because so far I cannot pick him up. I decided to go with a pellet and see diet. Just a seed mix without sunflowers... I tried different flavored nutriberries and my bird refused them all. I got zupreem pellets and he started eating them no problem on the first day. I’m getting great at making chop and this week with my new resolve, the bird is banished from my shoulders. I was going back and forth for a few weeks because he only wanted to mate with my hands. It was gross. I didn’t want him on my hands ... he seems to be done with that behavior towards me... but he still gets sexy with the fuzzy rope on his wooden bridge. We even had an episode where he spent 3 days guarding a paper yellow flower I gave him. I had to fight him with tongs to remove it from the cage. Then within a few hours he was acting like nothing happened. He acts like this with mirrors too. He goes bananas over cardboard and wood so I’m not buying toys he won’t use anymore. I’m making my own too. He just flew off his stand and is perched on the iPad so I’ll wrap this up because he is also a tad bit possessive over this leather case it’s in. I made the mistake of being afraid of him biting me when he first arrived and allowing him to chew it. Now he won’t stop. And he’s already killed it so I just let him stay busy chewing it. Mom life. Distract the kids.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
And to think... we knew Paco back when...

Congratulations!

Most Reactions

Latest posts