Pair of maroon bellied conures

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I have a citron cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Parakeets, Finches, Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Canaries, Sun Conures, Green Cheek Conures and planning to get a lot more!!!
@jersey i was afraid they were used as breeding machines so i didnt get that pair. This pair of eclectus had 3 clutches of 2 so far and all have been males. If I don't think I can handfeed i can give it to my friend to hand feed for me. I may try to leave it with the mom for about 3 weeks and take the baby out. Should i seperate the male? Or leave them together when mom is incubating.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
@jersey i was afraid they were used as breeding machines so i didnt get that pair. This pair of eclectus had 3 clutches of 2 so far and all have been males. If I don't think I can handfeed i can give it to my friend to hand feed for me. I may try to leave it with the mom for about 3 weeks and take the baby out. Should i seperate the male? Or leave them together when mom is incubating.

Please carefully read the advice you've already recieved on this thread and the one in the Eclectus topic, we are not trying to be rude or hurt anyone as JerseyWendy stated however I personally do feel it is best for you and for the birds if you not jump into breeding head-first with an Eclectus pair. There is lots of extensive research and experience that is needed to be gained before someone can take on a task like that. Even if you were to hand them off to a friend, it may be too late for the babies and your friend may not know how to do it properly either, although I don't know your friend personally so I can't speak from experience.
I am wishing the best for you and any birds you decide to take in.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Something to consider.... parrots out in the wild evolved to eat the available foods that are around them. With the way fresh food production has been going, some things that we humans grow are no longer as nutritious as the original, unmodified plant. Most owners do not have access to what parrots would naturally eat out in the wild, so we have to compromise and try to "cover all bases", so to speak.

There's one parrot species, the pygmy parrot, that it's entire diet for the most part is comprised of moss/fungi. Due to this, no one has been successful at keeping these tiny little parrots alive within captivity. Another parrot, the red bellied macaw, feeds almost exclusively on mauritia palm fruits and nuts. Most RBM owners do not have access to that kind of fruit, yet these birds thrive on what could be considered a very poor diet for any other species within captivity. Sunflower seeds, peanuts and foods high in vitamin A!

For the most part, a varied diet within captivity is to try and cover what they wouldn't be getting in the wild. Sometimes, even then, it's not enough. Even birds on varied diets can still end up with nutritional deficiencies. Calcium and vitamin A are usually two common deficiencies seen within captive parrots.... Calcium often due to a lack of vitamin D (i.e. sunlight!) and vitamin A due to a lack of vitamin A foods.

Most Reactions