Parakeet abandon nest of 6 HELP

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I have a citron cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Parakeets, Finches, Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Canaries, Sun Conures, Green Cheek Conures and planning to get a lot more!!!
Today my parakeet parents kicked all of their babies out for some reason. I put them back in but she kicked them back out. I went to the store immediately and bought handfeeding formula a little brooder and a syringe for feeding. Their crops were pretty full so ill just let feed them in the morning i think. 7am. i will be feeding then every 4 hours till 11pm. 7am-11pm. i think they are 2-3week 1 of the babies have yellow feathers coming out already very little tho. There are a total of 6 babies. Can anyone give me tips fast??

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I answered you already on your other post! Do you want to edit that post since you post in Budgies section? Cause you shouldn't repeat the same question multiple times. But this is posted in the right spot.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I have a citron cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Parakeets, Finches, Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Canaries, Sun Conures, Green Cheek Conures and planning to get a lot more!!!
Is it really? Wow lol thought post on parakeet sections. Anyways I think I know what to do thanks

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
Day 1 of handfeeding went well i guess. The first time i didnt know how much to feed it and they were refusing but the second feeding went well. Most of them were clean eaters and their crops got full pretty fast. Not really. Took me about 15 mins for 6 birds lol. It was fun doing it but i have a small question. Im feeding them till their crop feels a little firm more squishy ish and they get hungry after 2 hours? Their crop looks huge though. idk though fed 4 times today already and 1 more time before i go sleep ish but some of them are already chirping for food. Might feed in 30 mins if all are asking for it. Some pointers for feeding? the youngest baby is probally around 2 weeks old and the oldest has yellow feathers very small though not covering whole body yet. Is that about 3 weeks or 4? all are eating well so thats a good thing. Also how would i tame them during this age so i dont have to worry about biting in the future.

CrazyEyes

Banned
Banned
Feb 15, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Tikki-Mustache Parakeet, Beaker-Sun Conure, Bongo-B&G Macaw
youtube has great videos on hand feeding birds.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Babies will scream for more food rather their crop still have food or not. I am repeating again, ONLY feed when the crop is empty! Check your schedule to see how long it takes them to empty their crop sac. Adjust it as necessary! ALWAYS observe their crop sac to make sure they're emptying their crop properly. If not, then you have an issue. Make sure the formula is kept warm if it takes you 15 min to feed! You can hold them now but all they gonna do is pester you for more food. I don't worry about training until weaning stage.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
Alright thanks Mikey i put the food in the bottle warmer so it stays warm and also what would happen if they still have food in their crops? Just a question

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
Thanks that answered about everything

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
Hey can someone help? The parakeets are biting harder and harder each day it even drew blood lol. They arent even fully feathered yet and they already have a strong beak ):? All are healthy and doing good i have 2 yello 3 blue and 1 green. Idk how green one got in there O:. The parents is a lightblue and yellow

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Blue + Yellow = Green

This is a bad comparison, but imagine them as feathered baby puppies. As chicks, they tend to explore a lot with their beaks, so it wouldn't hurt to give them some small toys and items they can play with.

You can also try feeding them sprouted seeds, some dry seeds, pellets, fruits and vegetables now to try and start the weaning process - if you haven't already.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
They bite before i feed them but they wont stop they keep biting and it actually hurts for a beak that size. After they are fed they stop biting but still it hurts x_x When the oldest one bit me it shocked me since i didnt know they can bite that hard lol... Should i get a bigger box? They seem a bit cramped in there . And i already am puting food in there for them to try out and a little chew toy.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Well if it seems cramped, they need a larger box. Maybe even at this age a cage, depending on how old they are. I haven't been keeping up with their age. But if they're old enough to try solid food and to bite, they need to learn how to perch.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You should just get a small aquarium to keep them in. The babies get rough when they want to eat. That's nothing unusual at all. You just need to have one baby out with you at a time during feeding time.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
they are about 4 weeks now . Most of them are at least. Feathers are growing over them and they look really nice. I have a small 10 gallon can i just keep them in there without a heater or should i just put them in a small cage? with perches and toys. and food

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
IF they're fully feathered, then no heater is needed! IF they have started to fledge, then a cage is fine!

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
Not all are fully feathered but they know how to jump really really high. I open the cap to take one of them out and all of them try to take them out. its really funny when 6 babies are running in diffrent directions and your trying to grab all of them. Ill probaly trasfer them to a cage tomorrow. Hopefully they will like it

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
If they're not fully feathered then you need to keep it in the aquarium and put a heater over it to keep them warm. IF you let the babies get cold, your taking a risk especially when you hand feed you can cause more harm then good such as sour crop or slow digestion!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
IMO, @ 4 weeks they should be put in a small size cage.
add perches low to the ground, and in the middle.
things for them to climb on and explore, also adding a swing.

I think you will be surprised how quickly they learn.

Most Reactions