Parakeet deformed beak

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Update on Bean. She went in on the 29th of last month and got her beak shaped. In the meantime we had got her cuddlebones, wood toys, mineral perch ect to help her with it. She went to town on in and the day before her appointment she had most of it gone by herself. She used everything, especially destroyed the cuddlebone. The gal only shaped it a little with a dremel. They were impressed with how much she worked it herself though.

They also said it was probably not going to ever be completely corrected. The bottom jaw is malformed. So we just need to keep things for her to keep working it on and she's easy enough that I think we can dremel it if we need to at home.

Wet clipped on food hasn't worked. But food in a dry bowl is starting to catch on. She tossed the leaves out, though I consider that ok..she's at least touching them haha. But she likes zucchini, carrots, and banana's so far.

She's gotten a lot more perky since we first got her. No more napping all the time. She is also screaming with the conures and singing with the sparrow and starling. When I let everyone out her and the sparrow both rush to fly into the starling cage..they love playing in that for some reason. Luckily Zeki is easy going and doesn't care. His cage is pretty massive, with a ton of bells and other manipulable types of toys. The conures would be less cool about it. When it's time to go to bed she rides the finger to about 5 feet of her cage and then flys in herself. I know she is still scared of us, but she is very brave for a parakeet. she steps up well and allows us to kiss her on her head. I think with time she should be completely comfortable with humans.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Update on Bean. She went in on the 29th of last month and got her beak shaped. In the meantime we had got her cuddlebones, wood toys, mineral perch ect to help her with it. She went to town on in and the day before her appointment she had most of it gone by herself. She used everything, especially destroyed the cuddlebone. The gal only shaped it a little with a dremel. They were impressed with how much she worked it herself though.

They also said it was probably not going to ever be completely corrected. The bottom jaw is malformed. So we just need to keep things for her to keep working it on and she's easy enough that I think we can dremel it if we need to at home.

Wet clipped on food hasn't worked. But food in a dry bowl is starting to catch on. She tossed the leaves out, though I consider that ok..she's at least touching them haha. But she likes zucchini, carrots, and banana's so far.

She's gotten a lot more perky since we first got her. No more napping all the time. She is also screaming with the conures and singing with the sparrow and starling. When I let everyone out her and the sparrow both rush to fly into the starling cage..they love playing in that for some reason. Luckily Zeki is easy going and doesn't care. His cage is pretty massive, with a ton of bells and other manipulable types of toys. The conures would be less cool about it. When it's time to go to bed she rides the finger to about 5 feet of her cage and then flys in herself. I know she is still scared of us, but she is very brave for a parakeet. she steps up well and allows us to kiss her on her head. I think with time she should be completely comfortable with humans.

Please let us see a video or a pic as this sounds great :) So pleased she is doing well.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Bean has gotten more and more dexterous, alert, active and curious. She has really good flight control too now.

She's kinda an odd one, she is not fearful like most store parakeets I've met. In the morning after she eats her breakfast she screams at her door till I let her out. If I'm at the dining table and I have all the smaller birds out-gcc, starling and sparrow, they all hang out at the table with us and she flys over and is being social with us. We keep Ellie, the blue crown, caged when the littles are out because for some reason the sparrow harasses her and it would take one bite to really mess him up.

Her beak grows pretty fast. It's less stressful to just do touch ups here. Though she did very well at the vets and seemed to go back to herself as soon as she got home. We thought it was caused initially from when she was hatched or dropped or something, but now I'm thinking a genetic disorder which the vet is thinking as well. Her head is slightly mishaped, one foot is much larger than the other and then her difference in behavior from other parakeets seems all odd.

Her favorite food is well chopped carrot. I thought that funny since it's definately not a fave of any of my other birds. But too each their own. She went from finicky though to willing to try everything. Anything I show her she licks. If she deems it good it gets eaten or chewed up. If not, toss it to the floor.

Most Reactions