Parakeet egg laying

GinnyCos

Jun 18, 2023
Parrots
11Parakeets3parrots
I have 11 parakeets. 3 are definitely female. One is with a male. She lays eggs and I replace them with dummy eggs. another is now with 2 males. She did lay about 4 eggs in the last 3 years. They all crashed on the cage bottom and broke then she quit laying. The third is in with 3 males and in three years has never payed an egg. Are some parakeets sterile? Iā€™m glad though because I donā€™t want more parakeets, but I wonder about this. Thanks for any insight.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

I also house 3 male budgies with 1 female and have never had her lay eggs.
As long as there isnā€™t a place to lay eggs, even a food bowl (best to use a 5oz. Bowl),12 hours of sleep are provided, and the diet isnā€™t too heavy in sugar, the females shouldnā€™t lay.

OP
G

GinnyCos

Jun 18, 2023
Parrots
11Parakeets3parrots
Welcome to the forums!

I also house 3 male budgies with 1 female and have never had her lay eggs.
As long as there isnā€™t a place to lay eggs, even a food bowl (best to use a 5oz. Bowl),12 hours of sleep are provided, and the diet isnā€™t too heavy in sugar, the females shouldnā€™t lay.
Thank you. Itā€™s funny the female with one male lays at least 4 eggs in a clutch with the same cage and food conditions. The only difference I can see is one on one M and F.

Most Reactions