Parent Raised Lovebird

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
So my albino Fischer’s that I brought home a few weeks ago is very feisty. I’ve trained the biting out of her. But she’s allowed to be herself, which means that she is very demanding.

The other day I was feeding my baby lovebird, Mango, and she comes over and demands to be fed too. Mango was finished and there was some left, so I gave her a try. Well now she demands to be fed baby food EVERY time I feed Mango.

Has anyone had this happen with their parent raised, mature parrots? This is definitely the first for me! Lol. Weird bird. :rainbow1:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Give 'em an inch; they'll take a yard, as the old saying goes.
If you trained your bird not to bite... I'm hoping you can apply those techniques again.
Maybe tell us a bit more and keep us updated.
I'm glad you're here. Keep reaching out. :)

OP
M

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
Thank you! She’s a very confusing bird. She’s feisty as she doesn’t like to be handled, she won’t bite anymore because when she does I blow little puffs of air at her and say no. But when she does get handled she acts like a baby, she wants to be tucked in a blanket and petted. Then she’ll get upset and waddle on back to her cage to be let in. She has a stronger personality than my macaw I had. She wants to interact with the other birds but is just scary in her demeanor so they don’t like it. I let her roam as she wishes when I’m there. The others get out when she goes back in her cage. I was thinking of seeing if it’s all about cage aggression and switching her cage to a new one. That was the cage she was kept in with her parents until they were sold by her previous owner and I got her. She’ll climb on me and not let anyone near me, not even my daughter. The baby lovie doesn’t quite like her either but she’s been trying to bond with him. He’s the only one she hasn’t gotten angry at but he doesn’t like it when she’s near him. I’m wondering if that will change when he’s weaned. I’m going to give her more time to adjust and see how she and he interact as time goes by. I call Mango a boy but his personality says girl.

Luna is exhibiting nesting behavior so maybe it’s all hormones right now. She is 11 months old. She tries to attack anyone near her cage unless it’s food, water or shredding paper my daughter likes to give her.

Mango should be weaned soon, so hopefully the demands to be fed end. I just find her behavior to be strange. But I try to think that she was with her parents for a long time, then they left and she was put into a new situation as well. She may just need even more time to adjust.

Most Reactions

Latest posts