Parrot Carrier?

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Hey guys...not to get my hopes up, but I might be getting a CAG this weekend. I'd like to get your input on the best way to carry a medium parrot in a car.

I used to transport Gandalf in a medium-sized cockatiel cage he was familiar with, but he still spazzed out while in the car, doing "loops" walking on the sides and top of the cage. It was a real bear getting him into that cage when he didn't want to go in. He somehow always manged to snake that beak out and grab the side of the cage as i was putting him through the door. Skampering to the top of the cage, he'd then give me one of his "you didn't seriously think i was going in there, did you?" looks.

I was thinking just one of those cat/dog carriers, with a nice blanket and some of his toys. I've seen the clear travel cases, but after my experiences traveling with Gandalf, I think not seeing what's going on around might be more comforting.

I also thought about putting a small bowl of water in the cage, but for only a two-hour drive, I think it might only make a mess, and then he'd be a scared, wet bird. Food would certainly be unnecessary. He's not going to want to eat anyway.

Anyway, your thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
For a two hour drive, you probably won't need food and water...I take mine on a two hour drive fairly often, to visit my parents. I have a small dog kennel in Fred's view right now, in order to get him used to it. He's been traveling in a cage, but the kennel is safer, IMO. Levi travels in a cat carrier, and he hops right in, as he's accustomed to it. Hope this weekend brings joy for you!!!

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Yay! I hope you get this grey! I use cat carriers with a soft towel. For two hours he doesn't need water. You can put some chopped apple and oranges for hydration. A favorite toy in the crate is a good idea.

sassylady

Nov 8, 2010
If you really want water, would a water bottle work? I've been wondering about that if I ever needed to travel. Congrats on your new fid.

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
get ur self dog or cat carrier. congrats on ur new friend

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
The metal type collapsisble dog grates are good
big , strong and fold up when not in use

There is a thread posted just a few weeks ago about it by I think triodan
( sorry if spelt user name wrong )

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I use a plastic cat carrier for my birds I have no problem getting them to go in but its hard to get them out.

Most Reactions