Parrot Documentary tonight on PBS

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Re: Donā€™t Miss Out! ā€˜Parrot Confidentialā€™ Airs Tonight on PBS!

Hi Birdy - I did see Parrot Confidential and as I recall they did say that had something like an 85% success rate in releasing the macaws back into the wild. All in all I'd say that was a terrific success rate. I'd take those odds any time.

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003

I dont know who watched the show or not, but man I almost feel guilty having pet birds now.
What an absolutely heart-breaking program...

Hehe.....That is exactly how I feel all the time...."GUILTY"......and even more so after watching it. Poor things were born to fly free.
That's why I posted my thread "Getting a baby vs. Adopting" right after I finished watching it.
My poor YSA was so overweight when I got her, she couldn't keep herself in the air when she attempted to fly. She lost 110 grams and flying like a real bird now (it's so pretty, I feel like crying when watching her fly), but still gets this heavy breathing on landing........and she is a BIRD!!!!

Birdy916

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2013

i also heard the 85% comment...
but I also seen all the previously "released" macaws coming back to that enclosure to get food and attention...
probably because they are not really wild birds in any sense of the word...

And they didnt even mention a time-frame for that 85% survival rate, is it 25 yrs, 10 yrs, or 3 weeks...

those hippies dont really know what they are doing, but I bet Costa Rica loves the tourism dollars they generate...

That segment sure was feel-good to watch compared to the rest tho right...

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA

I liked the show and made my husband watch it with me because he is as not as informed as I. He needed to understand parrot behavior and seeing it on tv made it easier. Watching it makes one want to adopt a rehome vs. going to a breeder, but it did not go into what you were up against in the process.

Birdy916

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2013

yeah I agree, they definitly pulled the ol heart strings for these abused or neglected birds, but really didnt touch too much on the behavior problems that they come with usually.

They kinda did that segment about the grey that was plucked and had that collar, but they should have really shown a few of the bigger birds with behavior problems like cockatoos that scream all day, or macaws that try to bite any chance they get, or birds that only like/tolerate one person....

They got lucky with Lou it looked like, or just showed the few minutes of footage of him not screaming... gotta remember, even PBS is still TV...

But I guess, if they included everything a bunch of conscientious bird owners wanted, theyd have about a 237-hr-long long show...

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Yes, RockysMom, the one in Milan. I got Simba from one of her fosters in Eaton Rapids though. Simba loved the show. Talked and made noise through the whole thing.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

I watched it, and became quite emotional at times. I truly think they got their point across quite nicely. The point being that parrots are WILD animals, and not solitary animals, who are extremely intelligent.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
Oh yeah. I don't think she has really been around other birds too much other than her week at the rescue so she is interested. We spent about an hour the other day watching African Greys on youtube lol!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I didn't watch it. I figured it would only piss me off all over again...

Seen too much of this stuff.

"What? It's just a bird..."

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Gilbert liked the YNAs. He got so excited and was trying to approach the screen. He likes watching tv anymore though!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

I didn't watch it. I figured it would only piss me off all over again...

Seen too much of this stuff.

"What? It's just a bird..."

Yup, that mentality was addressed...let's just say I gave ALL my fids even more TLC this morning than I usually do, hugging them gently, telling them how much I love them.

Now I'm off to buy a shower curtain so I can leave them out for even longer periods of time without having to constantly peel one or two or even 3 off their cages because they are in exploratory and mischief mode. ;) My DYH Sam actually thinks he can take on the big macs. :30: NO MORE of that.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I might let the birds watch it... and then guilt trip them later.

See?! See how lucky you are?! All those toys, and treats, and outside time you get... Spoiled rotten birdies... :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Does anyone know when/if this will be airing in Canada? We can't even watch from the link here:(

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG

I dont know who watched the show or not, but man I almost feel guilty having pet birds now.
What an absolutely heart-breaking program...

Hehe.....That is exactly how I feel all the time...."GUILTY"......and even more so after watching it. Poor things were born to fly free.
That's why I posted my thread "Getting a baby vs. Adopting" right after I finished watching it.
My poor YSA was so overweight when I got her, she couldn't keep herself in the air when she attempted to fly. She lost 110 grams and flying like a real bird now (it's so pretty, I feel like crying when watching her fly), but still gets this heavy breathing on landing........and she is a BIRD!!!!

I don't feel guilty, because both of my birds are rescues, if it wasn't me getting them someone else would have and I know they have the best care I can give~ is it best for them to be free, absolutely, but is it fair to do that to a bird that has never experienced freedom? No~ I love the idea of releasing the macaws and I wish them the best!

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
I only caught the second half of it. Does anyone know if it is on demand?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I don't understand why the link won't work in other countries. :( That is too bad. Hold on, let me see if I can find it on YouTube.

Nope, can't find it there.... :(

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)

I don't feel guilty, because both of my birds are rescues, if it wasn't me getting them someone else would have and I know they have the best care I can give~ is it best for them to be free, absolutely, but is it fair to do that to a bird that has never experienced freedom? No~ I love the idea of releasing the macaws and I wish them the best!

Same here. My conure lived in a dark basement with a 40 watt light bulb that was only on during the day. Now she has natural sunlight and lots of attention. My macaw made a lateral move, so to speak. But he gets more 1 on 1 time than he did in foster care because he doesn't have to compete with 30 other birds for attention.

Most Reactions