Parrot Documentary tonight on PBS

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Just watched this and really enjoyed it. Glad my own bird spent most of the duration of the doc snuggled on my shoulder for moral support.

Painful though the poaching section was, it actually painted a considerably milder picture to a news item on Channel 4 in the UK last month - which showed adult amazons being trapped, drugged and stuffed into cardboard poster tubes ready to smuggle out of South America. God knows what the survival rate is, let alone what state the birds arrive in. Shocking and heartbreaking stuff.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Just watched this and really enjoyed it. Glad my own bird spent most of the duration of the doc snuggled on my shoulder for moral support.

Painful though the poaching section was, it actually painted a considerably milder picture to a news item on Channel 4 in the UK last month - which showed adult amazons being trapped, drugged and stuffed into cardboard poster tubes ready to smuggle out of South America. God knows what the survival rate is, let alone what state the birds arrive in. Shocking and heartbreaking stuff.

This image has scarred me for life and it's something I also think of when people mention wild caught birds;
Not making it a image in the thread because I don't want anyone else to see it if they don't "want" to. It's caged wild caught birds. Nothing 'graphic' but it's awful.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/files/2012/07/Parrot-trade-in-W-Africa2a-656x700.jpg

I can never not envision those birds being my Merlin, or Charlie, etc. With real emotions, real fear, real confusion... it just break my heart what people do to animals.

Which news item are you talking about? I'm in the UK and can't recall anything, so would like to read/watch it.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
l looked at the image, Cat, and my eyes are sweating. :( Those poor, poor birds!!!!

Humans are THE single worst animal in the world, IMO.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
I've found it online - be warned, it doesn't pull any punches and it's very hard to watch, I'm afraid.
In the rainforest with Brazil's animal traffickers - Channel 4 News

This image has scarred me for life and it's something I also think of when people mention wild caught birds;
Not making it a image in the thread because I don't want anyone else to see it if they don't "want" to. It's caged wild caught birds. Nothing 'graphic' but it's awful.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/files/2012/07/Parrot-trade-in-W-Africa2a-656x700.jpg

I can never not envision those birds being my Merlin, or Charlie, etc. With real emotions, real fear, real confusion... it just break my heart what people do to animals.

Which news item are you talking about? I'm in the UK and can't recall anything, so would like to read/watch it.

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
We got to meet Fagan, the CAG from the Feathered Friends of Michigan Parrot rescue today. :) He was featured about midway through the show. What a sweet bird! Doesn't like men too well, but still has a calm demeanor and a sweet personality. And he's famous! Well...sorta. Met Marie, too, the rescue owner. She is so good with the birds and so caring. We're looking at adopting another from her. But not Fagan...he's not available.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Here's a new pic of Fagan from Marie's facebook page. He looks fabulous. She does a great job.

ccor.jpg

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
You know Marie? I just met her for the first time today. I got Simba from her, but he was staying with a foster mom in Eaton Rapids.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Ok, late to the party. I watched it and now I'm VERY confused.

I'm not much of an emotional person (sadness wise) so I didn't cry, but it pulled at my heart strings. But I'm most confused why:
Why would the grey just step up? Like, why wouldn't they say 'an abused bird is not going to be very friendly, when dealing with one do not automatically PUT YOUR HAND IN FRONT OF IT EXPECTING IT TO STEP UP AFTER IT SPENT 4 DAYS IN A FORECLOSED HOME OR 20 YEARS IN A SMOKERS HOUSE'!?!? SERIOUSLY?!
And why were the amazons cages so tiny and bare? Looked like they could've just bent it and ran off!

Very emotional video,
Also, the channel 4 video is so sad! Both for the animals and humans. They're just trying to live... :( but you'd think living in the place they do, they could just live off the land ? Seem like there'd be a lot of edible plants.
And if your poor, why would you have children?

Oh, Fagan looks SO pretty! Lovely looking!

Most Reactions