Parrot Evangelism

TheAlexian

Aug 21, 2018
Parrots
2 parakeets, 1 green cheek conure
I just brought my fids (2 budgies, 1 GCC) home from staying at my friends' house for a few days. I'm happy to report that both transitions went smoothly, and everyone seems happy and healthy being back home again, including the budgie who has been sick for the past two months (got his clean bill of health the day before I dropped them off!).

My friends seemed to really enjoy having the birds at their house, especially their 5yo, who cried when I came to take them home. I think there is a possibility that they might decide to get a bird or two themselves.

What do you tell people who ask you about getting a bird or birds? What advice or warnings do you give?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You have parrots already, you should be aware of the negative side of being a parront. Parrots have to be a part of the family, really apart of it, in order to be happy. That means some considerations must be made in almost every family situation. Family vacations? Every day cooking? Flighted or not? Young ( 10 years of less) children pose special issues if the parrot is allowed out of age time. Is there someone home all the time? These days it is hardto find a household where thathappens. Can theystand the noise that parrots come with?

On theother hand is the love that a parrot can give in return !!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Keep it simple and be truthful! Assure they understand that Birds are very different from dogs and cats, including what they eat and the need for interaction with us. Assure you talk about building Trust and why it is so important. Also, it's hard work and expensive to have Birds. Most people do not have the time or money to have Birds.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Teflon/ptfe/pfoa (and hiding places), never being able to clean normally again or use anything scented (including non-scented candles)+ the bills (vet). People don't really understand the work and the dangers of boarding w/ other birds (AKA travel troubles)----1000x more complicated than anyone would guess just due to health of the bird and consequential lifestyle adjustments.

People think it is like getting a hamster...or a fish, but aside from the attention they require, you can no longer do basic things that are a part of your routine (e.g., cleaning with bleach/windex or using a hot-glue gun/Sharpie marker/burning food/using candles/cleaning carpet/perfume usage)..It's stuff people don't even consider...and then downplay...even when their bird dies before it is supposed to as a result of these choices.

Last edited:

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Every time I hear someone tell me they want a parrot, I tell them that, in order to prevent psychological issues (resulting in plucking or screaming, both of which I specifically mention), parrots require daily 3-5 hours of attention. The thought of having to spend that much time to upkeep the two main reasons people want parrots (an attractive animal that can talk) - that's enough to impact most people

But I'm facing a struggle locally where even the main local bird groups say using Teflon is just fine ('just don't burn your food'). So those people will also say that pellets are fine for ekkies, parrots don't need that much attention, smoking near birds is fine, etc. And how to outweigh those voices? I don't just. I just can attest to what life with Cairo is like.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Every time I hear someone tell me they want a parrot, I tell them that, in order to prevent psychological issues (resulting in plucking or screaming, both of which I specifically mention), parrots require daily 3-5 hours of attention. The thought of having to spend that much time to upkeep the two main reasons people want parrots (an attractive animal that can talk) - that's enough to impact most people

But I'm facing a struggle locally where even the main local bird groups say using Teflon is just fine ('just don't burn your food'). So those people will also say that pellets are fine for ekkies, parrots don't need that much attention, smoking near birds is fine, etc. And how to outweigh those voices? I don't just. I just can attest to what life with Cairo is like.

Show them the scholarly articles...or just secretly hate them lol

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!

Show them the scholarly articles...or just secretly hate them lol

I wish! But I'm 'passing as local' right now, and a scholar article will surely ostracise me and ID me as a foreigner. But that's just cultural things and personal decisions :p

Back to the thread topic, I've remembered another facet to the approach I take:

I try not to take a preach-y ("parrots are hard work", "you need to give them 3-5 hours or else") - I try to sound like I'm confiding in them ("he's too much work" "these guys, to prevent psychological issues like plucking and screaming, I have to give him 3-5 hours every day! Wah, you can really see it when we hang out with our friends who have kids - It's like having a toddler for the next 50 years of my life").

Most Reactions