Timothy hay for foraging?

PenClem

Oct 15, 2018
Media
Texas
Parrots
Penelope & Clementine (Peach-faced Lovebirds); RIP Dewey (Budgie)
Is it okay to put Timothy hay on the bottom of the aviary where my girls (2 lovebirds) spend their days during nice weather in TX? They love to forage so I thought about putting a thin layer of hay on the ground inside the aviary and throwing down some dry seed and pellets.

My only concern is that one of them might want to use it as nesting material and I obviously do NOT want to encourage that behavior. She has a tendency to try building nests out of paper, wood, etc.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The concern is where the hay comes from and what chemicals was used and still reside within the product. As a general statement likely not a problem, but know before you use.

OP
PenClem

PenClem

Oct 15, 2018
Media
Texas
Parrots
Thank you for pointing that out. I found a certified organic Timothy hay by Oxbox that is grown in the U.S. I'll give it a try. Thanks again!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
could this encourage nesting behavior?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
You've already said it: your bird will try *anything* as nestingmaterial and now you are planning to provide this aplenty.

Dried grass/hay etc. outside w/could easily get wet and moldy (even mist and dew, a high humidity is enough- is does not have to get wet directly) and it will be very attractive to small critters (mice love nestingmaterial too, bugs will love to hide and breed in it, so you will attract those even more)--- so keep a sharp eye out.

As much as I applaud the extra fourage-challenge-ideas I do not think this is the best solution with a broody bird and an outside situation.
(actually loose seeds on the bottom of any outside situation are an open invitation to vermin - that is why there are a zillion different feedingstations around)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Plus, when wet it could mold easily

OP
PenClem

PenClem

Oct 15, 2018
Media
Texas
Parrots
I appreciate the feedback. I won't use it. Thanks.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I really, really liked your thinking out loud.
You are trying to find things to keep them engaged, busy little brains, feet and beaks-- not an easy challenge!

OP
PenClem

PenClem

Oct 15, 2018
Media
Texas
Parrots
I really, really liked your thinking out loud.
You are trying to find things to keep them engaged, busy little brains, feet and beaks-- not an easy challenge!

Thank you! Yes, I try to keep them busy with whatever I can, and just thought it would be fun to watch them forage through the hay, but you brought up some excellent points, and I now see that it's not such a great idea.

These two are really fun, little birds! They enjoy toys of ALL sizes and can easily destroy a toy made for a CAG-sized bird! They shred toys their size in a matter of minutes!

I try to keep things interesting for them without encouraging nesting behavior since they are both DNA-sexed females. Clementine likes to stuff whatever she can into her rump feathers and carry them to a spot where she can build a nest -- even if that just means threading the material between the cage bars! She is an industrious gal! :D

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
The one thing they advised me is to use those glass marbles children play with in a very large bowl/container and hide food/ pellets etc. in between them.

I was worried about them ingesting one by accident - but was assuered it never happened, even the macaws will spit them out.
It's not really "natural" but no way they can stick spheres in their feathers, right? ;)
and glass wont get moldy etc. and is easily washed/cleaned.
(You could als use wooden beads - if they are safely coloured etc.)

Most Reactions