Parrot opinions

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
Hello fellow amazon lovers! I currently have two budgies in which I am trying to tame so, I wont be buying any new birds any time soon. However, I would like some opinions from those of you who own amazons, and or Greys. I have recently been looking at the TAG and Sortve fell in love with them.. Then I saw the Red Lored amazon and fell in love with those! I understand that all birds are different and everyone will have something different to say about each of the parrots. Heres what Im looking for:
Something I can cuddle/pet
Something that will spend time with me but not panic when I leave my house
I want to be able to have a very strong bond ( I know this takes time)
and last I want something that wont constantly beg to be held. Believe me it would be interacted with a ton throughout the day, I just wouldn't want it to get too stressed when I put it back into the cage.
What would you guys recommend? Obviously I would be doing extensive research before getting either I just thought it's be nice to have some opinions first.:green1:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think the red lored would be better for you than an African Grey.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
First off you ....well you can have budgies and amazons etc but the size difference is a couple orders of magnatude.

Now if you want something that will cuddle....look no further than a green cheek conure. My first post on here was http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/69829-my-bird-too-attached-me.html . And a conure 'might' beat up a budgie that invades his space, but most likely he probably won't even engage and if he does he won't be ripping a toe or foot off.

If you want a bird that will sit against you and share body heat and likes to be petted and will pet you (allopreening) a bunch of people on here will agree A GCC is the shiznats!

Of course EVERY BIRD has a different personality, but this breed is popular for a reason.

Do your research and find out what YOU CAN PROVIDE THE BIRD!!!! that is the most important thing.

:gcc:

Last edited:
OP
S

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
I will definitely take that into consideration. I love conures but never even thought of getting on to cuddle. Like I said, Im not getting one any time soon because I am still working with my budgies but I thought it'd be nice to have a few opinions.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great advise provided above!

You are aware that with the larger Parrots you are also switching multiple magnitudes in their much longer life and living requirements.

Your requirements need serious review! Some of what 'you' want, does not work with some of your selections and other 'want's' lean toward other Parrots that you didn't include.

FYI: STOP shopping, until you do your homework, you may find yourself with a Parrot that you are not ready for!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello and welcome to you!

I have no experience with Amazons or Greys but will only add that the bigger the bird, the bigger your budget will need to be! Be sure to take a look at this thread... The cost of owning parrots. It really gives insight into what it costs to own these big birds - as you can see, you'll have to provide a large cage, toys that will be destroyed monthly, fresh fruits and veggies daily (for 40+ years!) as well as travel carriers, play stands and vet bills. Expect to spend around $3000-5000 on start-up costs for these larger species and they will generally require around $400 a month on food and toys. Just something to be aware about, the idea of owning an amazon is great but the costs of such a venture can and will add up.

Both Amazons and Greys have the capacity to be excellent companions, but be prepared - most will want to cuddle or be pet only on their own terms. Especially if you get a rescue or an older bird, it may take months to build a trust bond that will allow being held. They are not for the faint of heart and both are incredibly intelligent.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
i agree the bigger the bird...with great power comes great responsibility....(spiderman) I could in no way afford ...well I could afford it, but it would mean me in the bird living in a studio apartment.....but yeah when you go big and exotic it's going to take a toll...and I'm not saying it's not worth it!!!!! but for me and for most.....the ....XXXXXXXXXX never mind I'll put it this way, choose the bird that chooses you.....and you know you can handle...financially, time allocation, medical etc. I always listen to the big bird experts because they can't cut corners.

I know you said you wouldn't look into it for a while and I believe you, just keep what I say in the back of your mind.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Be aware that getting any of the larger birds you mention is a lifetime commitment. As big a deal or bigger than adopting a child. Also.. similar to getting married it should have a for better or worse clause in it. If you still decide you wanna adopt a feathered companion take a look at local rescue centers first. You can find older sweet critters that simply outlived their owners and have already gone thru the 'terrible twos' and are in serious need of a stable loving home.

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
I have had a BFA for 34 years. He wasn't weaned when I got him at 11 weeks, so I hand fed him for a couple of more weeks. His name is Sam, and I wouldn't trade my life with him for anything. It is a special person that gets to share their life with a parrot, and I treasure every day. It is a big commitment, but so worth it. I clean poop constantly. I am on cage number 4, this one SS and costing $2000. Hopefully it will last for the rest of his life. I wouldn't say food for one parrot costs $400 per month, but you always have to have the basics in the house and fresh every week. We eat a lot of veggies, so it is no big deal for us to share with the parrot.

Sam did pick me. When I was choosing from a large stand full of babies, he was the only one who didn't bite me. He still doesn't. I can pet him and hold him any time I want, and he rarely protests. He is well adjusted and happy, rarely screams ( only when frightened, as when a cat jumped on the fence outside his window and he screamed bloody murder and came running looking for us ). He does something funny every day, and I just love him.

You have to be willing to devote a large part of your life to taking care of the bird. He runs our house. We go to bed when he wants us to. We constantly clean up after him, feed him, talk to him, play with him, pet and scratch him. We love it and so can you. As long as you know what you are getting yourself into, you will be fine.

Mindy

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
Finnegan the Timneh, Chicky the Cuban Amazon and Fanny Featherbottom the house chicken.
I have had a Timneh for 10 hears and he's funny and fun to talk to but is not cuddly. My mom has a Congo who loves to be held and pet (only by her). My Cuban Amazon is brand new to us so I don't know what she'll be yet. They're all so different it's just about impossible to choose based on the general personality traits you'll read.

If you have any way to spend time with larger birds I think it would help you a lot. In my opinion you should be able to handle a bite from your bird-I personally wouldn't get a Macaw. Of course the goal is not to get bit, but it can happen. With that in mind I gravitated toward more medium sized species.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hi,

I have had Levi for 15 months. I got him as a baby. He chose me out of 3 babies ready to go. He is always w/ us, and basically in his cage only when we aren’t home and to sleep. We do have an evening ritual and he is cuddly. He lets me know when it’s his personal cuddle time for loving and petting etc... even if I’m still cleaning up the kitchen. :D When he was little he used to snuggle in my neck. Now it’s on my forearm close to my chest, but as close to me as he could get.
I guess, what I’m getting at is if you start at the beginning with special cuddle time it just becomes routine and second nature to them.

In essence, I have a Grey and we cuddle.
So, what you put in is what you’ll get out. :heart:

Good Luck.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I second (or third or whatever) the advice to do your homework and then start looking at breeds. I "wanted" a large macaw, then an eclectus, then realised an Alexandrine would be the best fit for me and hopefully me for it.

There will be birds you find more appealing to look at, but I don't think this should guide your choice, at least it shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list. Amazons and Greys are typically quite different creatures from what I've read so I'm wondering what you're basing your list on?

Most Reactions