Parrot Species

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Giving birds general traits because of their species is kind of like assuming people have certain traits because of their astrological sign. It just doesn't work. Sure, there are cases where the traits are completely spot on, but most of the time, they are not. For every quieter quaker, i can show you a loud one. For every nippy macaw, i can show you a completely sweet one. It all comes down to individual socialization, personality traits and how the are raised. If you make a list, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If you get a bird because you assume it has all these pros, then 6 months later find out your bird doesn't, you are going to be disappointed. You cannot put expectations like that out there without expecting to be disappointed. This is why everyone says to visit the birds, and you will find the one. Its like love at first sight...you just know. :)

THANK YOU so much for this! I see what people mean now. I definitely understand that. For instance, my friend has an Umbrella Cockatoo. And yes, he is very cuddly. But he doesn't have any of the 'cons' associated with Cockatoos. He doesn't scream, he doesn't pluck, etc. So, I think it's because they take good care of him and because he was raised right. Hmm.

So far, I haven't gotten a chance to handle any of those birds except a Hahn's Macaw (baby), a GCC, and a Cockatiel. But I'm trying! Lol.

I can't wait until I find "the one" haha.

I just wish I could at least decide on a size range so that I can start buying toys, perches, and a cage! :/

Listing it out is a good starting point, I was surprised by the way people reacted to it. I think of it more like listing the pros and cons of different cultures, just because it's their culture doesn't mean everyone does all the good/bad things listed but it makes you prepared.

I'm so happy you listed that Galahs need to be flighted, it's so important for their health. Galahs cannot get the proper exercise and must be allowed to fly at least a little. I'm in hr process of teaching my girl to recall, she has flying to a chair down though :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Giving birds general traits because of their species is kind of like assuming people have certain traits because of their astrological sign. It just doesn't work. Sure, there are cases where the traits are completely spot on, but most of the time, they are not. For every quieter quaker, i can show you a loud one. For every nippy macaw, i can show you a completely sweet one. It all comes down to individual socialization, personality traits and how the are raised. If you make a list, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If you get a bird because you assume it has all these pros, then 6 months later find out your bird doesn't, you are going to be disappointed. You cannot put expectations like that out there without expecting to be disappointed. This is why everyone says to visit the birds, and you will find the one. Its like love at first sight...you just know. :)

THANK YOU so much for this! I see what people mean now. I definitely understand that. For instance, my friend has an Umbrella Cockatoo. And yes, he is very cuddly. But he doesn't have any of the 'cons' associated with Cockatoos. He doesn't scream, he doesn't pluck, etc. So, I think it's because they take good care of him and because he was raised right. Hmm.

So far, I haven't gotten a chance to handle any of those birds except a Hahn's Macaw (baby), a GCC, and a Cockatiel. But I'm trying! Lol.

I can't wait until I find "the one" haha.

I just wish I could at least decide on a size range so that I can start buying toys, perches, and a cage! :/

Listing it out is a good starting point, I was surprised by the way people reacted to it. I think of it more like listing the pros and cons of different cultures, just because it's their culture doesn't mean everyone does all the good/bad things listed but it makes you prepared.

I'm so happy you listed that Galahs need to be flighted, it's so important for their health. Galahs cannot get the proper exercise and must be allowed to fly at least a little. I'm in hr process of teaching my girl to recall, she has flying to a chair down though :)

Once you've been around birds in years of time and get to interact with all types of birds then list pros and cons. A lot of what was listed is untrue! The truth is ALL birds gets best exercise if flighted! NOT only applies to certain species. I keep my birds flighted! When I used to breed, I kept my breeders flighted too!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Once you've been around birds in years of time and get to interact with all types of birds then list pros and cons. A lot of what was listed is untrue! The truth is ALL birds gets best exercise if flighted! NOT only applies to certain species. I keep my birds flighted! When I used to breed, I kept my breeders flighted too!
It is important for all birds to be flighted, but the Galah and a few other species must be flighted. They cannot get the proper exercise and can develop fatty tumors, be overweight, and have their life span literally cut in half.

This can happen to other birds, but is sadly very common in galahs. Many web sites and some bird books will say the galahs life span is only 30-40 years. If allowed to fly and given a healthy diet they can live to be 60+ but so few actually reach that age. :(

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
Yep, birds have such different personalities!!! I have two linnie brothers, same clutch, same color, hand raised by the same breeder and they couldn't be more different! Wilson is more of the stereotypical linnie, sweet, cautious but playful, doesn't bite. House is a ball of fire and nips and BIG bites all the time. He loves sitting on my shoulder and "chew me out" over nothing;) So different and I love both or their personalities.

You'll find the right bird. You can only plan so much and eventually you take a leap. Your bird will partially be what you want and part suprise. Just having my boys for a few weeks I've already discovered every day is different with parrots!

Could it be that they are emulating their names? :p

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
Hahaha....maybe so but they were named House and Wilson AFTER I met them. House is so House it gets to the point of insanity, just like the real House!!!:p

Perhaps I should get him a little cane and teach him to whack others....:03: LOL

Most Reactions

Latest posts