Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Well, took Erin camping or a whole weeknd, then hiking afterwards. It was a 3 hour drive one way and she did fantastic on my shoulder. She also sat on my dogs legs while they slept- weirdo. Anyway, she had a great time and warmed up next to the fire, rode on my hubby's and mine shoulder while hiking and slept in the tent with us. SHe even ate vanilla icecream! (The only human food Ihave gotten her to eat). I tried putting her in the tent at night to enjoy some alone time alone with my hubby with in 3 minutes I look ovver and she is sitting there next to the bag of marshmallows looking up at me! The distance between the tent and fire is about 100 ft! LOL She must've really wanted our attention! Then on the way home she began to "purr", she also said hello and something along the lines of up, up. SHe says hello really well. I was so excited. Until she started to regurgitate. My last bird did that and while under anesthesia he regurgitated and died. I want to get Erin micorchipped, so we are teaching her to fly, and if they for any reason have to put her nder to do so or for any other reason i do not want the same thing to happen to her too!
:( It would just break my heart. How can I discourage this behaviour?

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
Mr. Precious does this all the time. The only time it really bothers me is when he climbs up & physically tries to put it in my mouth. I don't know how to stop it or discourage it.

Why didn't they intubate your bird while under anesthesia? Is that not done with birds? When I worked for the vet we intubated every cat, kitten, puppy, etc. that was anesthesized for just that reason. I'm very sorry for your loss.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
I have know idea how they put him under. they were trying to do bloodwork and he fought too much, so hey asked to use anesthesia on him and I told him I didn't want that and preferred he brought in an assitant or even myself to restrain him and he said no. I gave the vet the last of my money for the emregency appointment so I couldn't go anywhere else, so I finally agreed and he went back there for about 2 minutes and came in, didnt even look at me and just said he was dead. I laughed thinking it was a bad joke (he hates me and my bird). He then explained he regurgitated and 'aspirated'. I have no idea what goes on behind those closed doors and no one bothered to explain farther than that. Do they even need to be put under for microchipping? Also what is intubation?

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
Intubation is when they put the tube down the throat like they do in people surgery. There is an air cuff attached so that if an animal regurgitates it blocks it from coming up & going into the lungs. I find it shocking that in two minutes your bird was deceased. It takes much more time than that to even set up for anesthesia. Nothing can bring back your beloved pet or make up for the loss but if it were me I would go after the veterinary hospital & report to BBB & try to warn others. The blatant disregard for safety procedures & insisting on doing a risky procedure instead of getting an assistant shows he is unqualified to work with any animal.

I highly suspect that something else happened & he lied to use & used anesthesia as an excuse. I think he nicked the bird trying to get the bloodwork without you watching & failed to stop the bleeding. A bird can bleed to death very quickly. Either that or your bird had a heart attack out of fear of the vet & they way he was treating it.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
i have the reports for the necropsy and it seems that the majority of the things cited led to the fact that he had suffered from blockage of air and also that his diet of mainly seeds and fresh fruits and veggies was too fatty.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Thanks for telling me off BBB. I tried to complain to agency before (idr who it was) and after a week of phone tag he sais it was not his area to cover).

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
i have the reports for the necropsy and it seems that the majority of the things cited led to the fact that he had suffered from blockage of air and also that his diet of mainly seeds and fresh fruits and veggies was too fatty.

You should be feeding your bird mainly a quality pellet diet an supplement that with fruit and veggies. You can then add some seeds to the diet but seeds should not be the primary source of nutrition. Also please keep in mind that birds are lactose intolerant so take it easy on the ice cream.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Thanks Molly. I actually switched elvis over to a mainly pelleted diet when I recieved him as birthday gift (no one else could handle him) , which he for the most part refused and picked out all and any seeds, but then again I only owned him for a month, so for the last 10 years when my grandparents owned him werent going to be undone by a strict pellet diet. Also I am well aware of birds and what they can or cannot eat, but a little snack once in a while is fine.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Sorry if they came off as rude, but I am quite frankly not in the joliest of moods thinking about Elvis, so please mind me.

Most Reactions