Parrot stools?

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I was lurking around the internet, and came upon a post about identifying normal parrot droppings. And of course, I got myself worried! I have been a 'full time' parrot owner for nearly four years, and you still learn something new!

So, when I was lurking around this website, they explained some things that are abnormal, but I was thinking to myself, even if it might not be normal for one parrot, it could be normal for another.

I was slightly concerned when this website said abnormal parrot stools are bulky. What does that mean? A fat little poop on and off?

Also, they explained that the clear urine should be seen clearly. And I was concerned. Kiko doesn't always produce clear urine that you can see against the paper clearly. Sometimes, but it is more of a solid little green poop that is slightly moist with a small to mid-size white cap. Sometimes they are small, sometimes they are a little larger. And after drinking water, the next morning it is even a little bigger. Some are dryer than others, and can just roll off of something without much residue left, and other times not.

So I just wanted to ask, what does "bulky" mean in terms of abnormal?

Because I thought it was normal for a mainly seed eater to have medium shaded green stools that are round, not too 'wet', have a white cap on top, do not smell, do not have any bubbles, ect ect.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Merriam-Webster says...

"having bulk, large of its kind, corpulent, having great volume in proportion to weight".

Geez, poop varies so much due to food and circumstance, though...
I think knowing what's normal for your bird is the thing to aim for.
Wait, did I just make a bird-poop pun?

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I know! I was so confused when they said bulky! But in their explanation, they said it meant extra oily/stinky, extra fat content. So I was really confused. Kiko doesn't have smelly stools, or 'oily' stools. But then, what do they mean by that? It just brings me back to the old days. I can see how a novice could be so overwhelmed!

Sometimes, I guess, parrot owners can just go through those fazes, where they say everything is normal and nothing changed. And then they are like..."well maybe it did change!"

Maybe someone would appreciate a poop picture? LOL

And LOL, I think you did make a pun!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Merriam-Webster says...

"having bulk, large of its kind, corpulent, having great volume in proportion to weight".

Geez, poop varies so much due to food and circumstance, though...
I think knowing what's normal for your bird is the thing to aim for.
Wait, did I just make a bird-poop pun?

Yup!!! You just punned that one!

Please be advised - Any Thread dealing with this subject is going to be Punny and have moments of, well entire Posts that will be filled to the brim with humor, its just the reality of the Subject!

When it comes to Poop, go to the Medical Books for photos and terms!

The term Bulk is far to open to variations in its definition for this subject. As an example: My DYH Amazons passes in volume that could easily be defined as 'Bulk.' It could also be defined as: Dangerous if it should fall upon you!!!

In simply terms, what goes in one end comes out the other end! So, if more water is taken in, the poop will be runnier. If more food is taken in, the poop will be drier, etc, etc, etc...

What is normal for your Parrot is a combination of what was taken in and what is coming out. If there is a difference, i.e. lots of dry food in and very wet and runny coming out, you have a problem, etc...

One of the biggest reasons to not include Pellet food that uses food colouring is that colouring does not break down and as a result, you can be running to an Avian Vet because of an very oddly coloured poo.

As stated by 'My Good Friend' above, what is normal for your Parrot and what you are feeding him/her is your evaluation of what is seen overtime!

Yes, there are clear danger signs that you need to be aware of, like black (dark) or red Poop! Watery poop when it should not be that watery, etc...

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Dark coloured fruits like blueberries can also darken poop colour (and increase liquid).
This terrifies me on occasions I forget I give my bird berries...

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
I remember once back in the early days of my intrusion into the realm of my wife and her lord and master. I was still trying to befriend the creature, gave him a bit of something, cant recall, cranberry sauce? Anyhow later that day the Mrs is frantically loading bird into travel crate headed for vet. Long story short we eventually sorted it out. i did NOT emerge the hero, you realize.

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
I know it probably sounds crazy, but when I first took in my baby pigeon for hand rearing I photographed their poop every morning and evening! I only recently deleted the photos to make more space on my memory card!

I saw an initial change in the poop as this bird had been feeding from the parent but fell from the nest. I had no formula to give, and so for the first couple of days all they got was peas and sweetcorn which resulted in droppings with urates that got smaller and smaller with more and more urine. Then I started mixing in porridge which bulked up the poops slightly. There was one day when the poop had a bit of a green tinge and looked very shiney, but it was a one off! After the hand feeding formula arrived the poops had a healthier consistency and component ratio. Once weaned, the pigeons poops looked like regular ones you see outside!

I personally found it useful having the poop photo diary at the time (in conjunction with diet diary). It helped me to learn the normal poops and how certain foods affected their form. It also gave me piece of mind so I wasn't constantly worrying and thinking "is that different to yesterday, I'm sure that's not right?!?"

I know it might seem weird, but it helped me alot!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts