Parrotlet go mad when he hears Plastic bags

BobbyBird

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Bobby
Whenever my parrot hears the crinkling sound with plastic bag he starts chasing me after the room saying all the words he knows. Does anyone else have this reaction

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Not with my birds, but when I had guinea pigs, they would go nuts when they heard a plastic bag because they thought it was a produce bag and that they were going to get treats! Could this be whatā€™s happening with your bird? Honestly though, sometimes birds just have funny likes or dislikes about the strangest things!

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
Whenever my parrot hears the crinkling sound with plastic bag he starts chasing me after the room saying all the words he knows. Does anyone else have this reaction
My conure go mad when he sees electronics (phones, laptops, tablets etc) If he sees it in you hands, lap, pocket, etc he will attack you. He used to go mad over windows closing. I learned it sounds similar to doors closing so I thought he interpreted as me leaving and would get upset. Every time I close a window I say ā€œitā€™s a window. Iā€™m staying here with youā€ and he has slowly learned it okay for me to close a window.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Yes. It's a common Parrotlet trait. I try to never crinkle bags when Bumble is out because she gets totally psycho and has given me some good chomps. Upside: if she's trying to hide from me all I have to do is rustle a bag and she gives herself up. People also suggest this when parrotlets somehow get out of the house.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd the green cheek is passionate about plastic bags. Especially pink and white striped ones. He loves it, makes love to it, carries it from place to place, tosses it from his cage onto the floor and runs and hides it behind things. All of this if he gets the chance you understand. His love for me vanishes in a trice. Not that he then attacks me - well not until I try to remove the bag at which point I am amazed at how fast he can run and his aerobatics have to be seen to be believed.

I confess to giving him occasional bursts with his favourite as long as I can watch him carefully and I make sure I knot it strategically so he cannot get caught up in it. I have to say though that I am cut to the quick by how easily my place in his heart is usurped by a pink and white competitor. :oops:

Most Reactions