Parrots and finding apartments

cbsfusek

Sep 29, 2013
Hi all :D
I am looking to get a green cheek conure in about 9 months, once I move from (very)Northern CA to San Diego. I have had a GCC In the past and she was my whole world--she passed away far too soon in a terrible accident. It has been 4 years since then and I am emotionally ready to adopt another little conure. I hope to get one from someone who needs rehome theirs, so I can giving one a second chance at a great life. The potential problem is that we have an older dog, she is 12, as well as a young cat and we will be looking to move into an apartment. I've kept birds and dogs and cats all at once in the past so that isn't my main concern, though I know that is something to consider in itself.
Now for my main question: aside from the potential spacial issues of having 3 animals in a small space, which I have already been thinking a lot about, I'm also wondering how hard it is to find a rental that allows birds (and a cat and a dog...). Some have told me that if a place allows cats and dogs they are more likely to not care about a bird. Others have said birds make it far harder to find a place because everyone thinks they are messy and destructive. I can see either being true and I'm sure it just depends, but any insight would be awesome. I have been waiting a long time to be in the perfect place in my life to welcome another bird, and I'd very much like that time to be sooner than later :)
Thank you all for your thoughts!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forums.....

Both sides of that story is true, though I have also seen apartments accept birds when they don't accept dogs or cats, though they often have size/specie limitations, not allowing macaws, 'toos, greys or other loud birds.....

Good luck.....

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I'm in San Diego, where in San Diego are you looking. I have to say its kinda hard to find apartments that allow cats and dogs. I had to give up two dogs just to move back here. My mom was ill, and so I had to do what I has to do. The was on the early 2000. Now I think it's even harder. We do have a flew problem here, and this year was really bad. As far as birds, I don't think there would be a problem. But I'm not in that situation. I guess you would just have to disclose and see what happens.

BTW we have several really good bird stores here in San Diego. Let me know and I will give you the names.

OP
C

cbsfusek

Sep 29, 2013
Hi there!
We are going to be going to Grossmont college for a couple semesters before transferring to SDSU but we aren't extremely concerned with location...suggestions appreciated :) my sister lives in Normal Heights and her specific area is a little nicer safety wise than some parts but is still affordable so possibly around there. There are also a lot of dogs in her niche of the neighborhood which gives me hope. Definitely not down town is all I know so far. And I am at least used to having to find a place that allows dogs--it took months for us to find our current place.
I'm glad to hear birds are at least not more difficult to move around. I will certainly be sticking with a quieter species to help my case. thank you both! :)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Hi there!
We are going to be going to Grossmont college for a couple semesters before transferring to SDSU but we aren't extremely concerned with location...suggestions appreciated :) my sister lives in Normal Heights and her specific area is a little nicer safety wise than some parts but is still affordable so possibly around there. There are also a lot of dogs in her niche of the neighborhood which gives me hope. Definitely not down town is all I know so far. And I am at least used to having to find a place that allows dogs--it took months for us to find our current place.
I'm glad to hear birds are at least not more difficult to move around. I will certainly be sticking with a quieter species to help my case. thank you both! :)

La Mesa is probably in the middle of both. Lemon Grove is a lil Southwest from La Mesa, but is about the same is only about 15 min to each. From where I live in I shop near Grossmont Hosptial and work near SDSU. Both Lemon Grove and La Mesa are not as expensive as say Del Cerro or Downtown. You definitely don't want to live downtown.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Generally, when I tell a landlord I have 4 "caged birds" they're okay with it because they envision a budgie in a teeny cage in the corner of the room. How much harm could that be?

Cats and dogs cause damage to furniture, to doors, wallpaper, etc. Compared to birds they seem to think nothing much of it, from my experience (this is the UK however).

I have rabbits though, who have thoroughly trashed the house, and the birds will probably mean I'll have to replace a door and thoroughly fix up door frames too...

So, depends entirely. But if you say you have a caged bird (that isn't too loud, eg GCC) a cat and a dog, the bigger issues will probably be dogs and cats.

Phew, that was long winded.

Good luck with the move!

OP
C

cbsfusek

Sep 29, 2013
Thank you Wendy for the tips! :)

Mayden--now THAT is an idea!! I had never thought of phrasing it that way. Truly brilliant... :D

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I have an akita mix, some cats and birds.

When moving into the current place (you can own the house but you have to rent the property), only certain dog breeds are accepted. Truth is, my dog is a mutt, since I don't know what his father is for sure (pit or lab.... leaning more towards pit), the property managers were told that he is a mutt and saw pictures and a video of him. He was accepted.

Plus, a bird(s) in a cage? What's the big deal? (when really, it's a couple of cages and one is noisy!).

I am looking to move to another place as well, and it will also need to be a place that will accept pets.

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
Most apartments will be okay with the birds as long as they are caged. The apartments near my area allow pets but charge a deposit and additional rent per pet (dog or cat)

Some place limitation for a dog or a cat like 2 per apt.
Birds are getting popular in the US but they are still way below known in the apartment business. So having said I would not even mention that you are bringing a bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts